Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt...........I've raised Chickens and Turkeys togeather for 50 something years now...even in the same pen...with no problems. Like you, I too do not medicate older birds other than Wormer. I am even trying DE to cut down on the amount of that. I truly believe that some of the older Heritage breeds of Turkeys are far superior to some of the newfangeled cross breeds that you see nowdays. They are just stronger and have more vitality than the newer breeds. I occasionally..and not very often...will outcross to Wild birds to regain some of that vigor and vitality. Can you imagine how smart and strong a bird that size has to be to survive on it's own when we have trouble raising them in a pen with good food and water everyday....they are pretty amazing.

I know a lot of people who can raise both turkeys and chickens together, but it doesn't work here. I have tried Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms and heritage Bronze with no luck.
I see these wild turkeys every day and they must keep reproducing.....so they are doing quite well. Maybe I'll catch one and see how long it lasts inside my fence.

Walt

Just wanted to thank you all for a great thread! I am learning so much about raising, breeding, and the pro's and cons', not may con's IMHO ! I have pre-ordered 6 straight run Dominiques for next March from a breeder here in NH and will be going to pick them up. Would really like to start a line of the Frank Reese, Good Shepherd Barred Plymouth Rocks next spring also. I just got back into raising chickens, after being out of it for lots of years, but finding, with all of your help, it's like riding a bike...it comes back to you. I have raised all kinds of livestock over the years, when I was young with my Daddy, and as an adult when my kids were growing up. I have been around chickens ALL my life! I have the room here, live in the country, am a country girl, and love animals! Although I do intend to eat my culls and raise some for meat, not just eggs...I would also like to be a part of preserving both the Dom and BR heritage bird lines. I DO have 15 hatchery BR's that I am starting out with this year. AM hoping to get atleast one broody hen out of that lot, but with hatchery chicks,ya just never know! I would like to pre-order some of the Barred Plymouth Rock chicks for next spring, March or April, but would be willing to try eggs under a broody also if no one sells the chicks. I'm NOT a commercial poultry farm, just a backyard chicken, small farmer. I don't intend to inter-breed the lines, but want to keep them pure and true to standard thus keeping the heritage breeds going and growing stronger! If I can get some of the Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks, I will probably cull and eat the hatchery chickens. Just wanted back into chickens and thought it would be easier and less expensive to start out with the hatchery ones, incase I had lost my touch
wink.png
I am 51 years old, so not a young un, or a "pet" chicken owner. I am a serious farmer that really really wants some Heritage BPR's. Please, if someone is willing to sell me a few, I would be forever grateful! Since no one had answered my first post, I thought maybe if I told you all a bit about myself you would see I am serious and not some fly-by-night, wanna be
wink.png
I used to breed sled dogs and raced them too. Also used to be a Registered Maine Guide! So I am qualified and do understand the breeding process, albeit it was dogs, the breeding still stands for all kinds of animals. Breed your best to your best, for temperament, production, meat ( not with the dogs LOL), conformation, coat/or feathers, in a chickens case ect ect.... Thanks so much and hope to hear from someone on how to obtain/get on a waiting list, some of the BR heritage chicks or (fertile eggs if that is the only way ) next spring, preferably chicks! Thanks again for such a great thread also
big_smile.png
I'm sorry nobody has helped yet. Sometimes the thread goes too fast, plus often there are only a few people who know how to help. I have no idea here myself? But here is a bump to the new page in hopes someone can help. Also, if you go through this thread, or the chicken state university large fowl thread, you will find mention of several great breeders. Easier for me, as I chose a breed that I really can't hurt more than they are, LOL. I'm starting from scratch and yet the two other known breeders of my breed aren't that far ahead:p. So I can hardly do damage! LOL Good Luck, we're about the same age but I envy you being out in the country! Be happy, you will find your birds! :hugs https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop/1370 Great thread above!

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank you all for a great thread! I am learning so much about raising, breeding, and the pro's and cons', not may con's IMHO !

I have pre-ordered 6 straight run Dominiques for next March from a breeder here in NH and will be going to pick them up.

Would really like to start a line of the Frank Reese, Good Shepherd Barred Plymouth Rocks next spring also.

I just got back into raising chickens, after being out of it for lots of years, but finding, with all of your help, it's like riding a bike...it comes back to you.

I have raised all kinds of livestock over the years, when I was young with my Daddy, and as an adult when my kids were growing up. I have been around chickens ALL my life!

I have the room here, live in the country, am a country girl, and love animals! Although I do intend to eat my culls and raise some for meat, not just eggs...I would also like to be a part of preserving both the Dom and BR heritage bird lines.

I DO have 15 hatchery BR's that I am starting out with this year. AM hoping to get atleast one broody hen out of that lot, but with hatchery chicks,ya just never know!

I would like to pre-order some of the Barred Plymouth Rock chicks for next spring, March or April, but would be willing to try eggs under a broody also if no one sells the chicks.

I'm NOT a commercial poultry farm, just a backyard chicken, small farmer. I don't intend to inter-breed the lines, but want to keep them pure and true to standard thus keeping the heritage breeds going and growing stronger!

If I can get some of the Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks, I will probably cull and eat the hatchery chickens. Just wanted back into chickens and thought it would be easier and less expensive to start out with the hatchery ones, incase I had lost my touch
wink.png

I am 51 years old, so not a young un, or a "pet" chicken owner. I am a serious farmer that really really wants some Heritage BPR's. Please, if someone is willing to sell me a few, I would be forever grateful! Since no one had answered my first post, I thought maybe if I told you all a bit about myself you would see I am serious and not some fly-by-night, wanna be
wink.png

I used to breed sled dogs and raced them too. Also used to be a Registered Maine Guide! So I am qualified and do understand the breeding process, albeit it was dogs, the breeding still stands for all kinds of animals. Breed your best to your best, for temperament, production, meat ( not with the dogs LOL), conformation, coat/or feathers, in a chickens case ect ect....

Thanks so much and hope to hear from someone on how to obtain/get on a waiting list, some of the BR heritage chicks or (fertile eggs if that is the only way ) next spring, preferably chicks!

Thanks again for such a great thread also
big_smile.png

Welcome to our tread and glad you to feed and raise H Chickens as they eat the same amount of feed as a scrub chicken does.

In regards to the Barred Rocks there is a thread for Frank Reese Barred Rocks and these folks are also on here. Don't panic there are many who can fix you up and you just got to get on the waiting list. It will be spring before you can get some anyway unless you live not to far away from someone who has already got them. Then you go there pick you up two males three females three to seven months old ect and bam you ready right now. There are not everywhere in very state but you never know. I guy just called me from South Mississippi and want old time Rhode Island Reds. Willing to drive in two weeks two hundred miles to pick some up. So he is lucky good birds, the real old time R I Reds and he can have some maybe this year and not have to wait till next spring. Some folks live in Tim Buck Two. Five hundred miles away from a show or a breeder or a new sub breeder. So they have to get eggs or started chicks from someone. Normally in 12 months any one who is willing to wait will be in with the breed they might like to have. Some want breeds that are down right gone and in bad shape. These folks may be out of luck.

Some people don't need to be practicing on these rare old odd colored lines as they are hard to breed. So be patient keep looking around and someone will be out there for you. Jersey in Nebraska I am sure can put you on his list for next spring. He is the one who got the first Barred from Good Shepard Farm and supply's a lot of folks with young chicks.

That's it for my two cents worth. bob

Welcome to our tread and glad you to feed and raise H Chickens as they eat the same amount of feed as a scrub chicken does.

In regards to the Barred Rocks there is a thread for Frank Reese Barred Rocks and these folks are also on here. Don't panic there are many who can fix you up and you just got to get on the waiting list. It will be spring before you can get some anyway unless you live not to far away from someone who has already got them. Then you go there pick you up two males three females three to seven months old ect and bam you ready right now. There are not everywhere in very state but you never know. I guy just called me from South Mississippi and want old time Rhode Island Reds. Willing to drive in two weeks two hundred miles to pick some up. So he is lucky good birds, the real old time R I Reds and he can have some maybe this year and not have to wait till next spring. Some folks live in Tim Buck Two. Five hundred miles away from a show or a breeder or a new sub breeder. So they have to get eggs or started chicks from someone. Normally in 12 months any one who is willing to wait will be in with the breed they might like to have. Some want breeds that are down right gone and in bad shape. These folks may be out of luck.

Some people don't need to be practicing on these rare old odd colored lines as they are hard to breed. So be patient keep looking around and someone will be out there for you. Jersey in Nebraska I am sure can put you on his list for next spring. He is the one who got the first Barred from Good Shepard Farm and supply's a lot of folks with young chicks.

That's it for my two cents worth. bob

Jeremy W. is who Bob meant. JWhip is Jeremy's ID here on BYC. Jeremy has some of the finest BRs in existence anywhere.

The reason wild turkeys are so hardy is they are WILD. they are not prone to disease because they are not confined and always on clean ground.that's why in feeding wild turkeys is discouraged because it congregates them to one area and makes them very susceptible to disease.

The reason wild turkeys are so hardy is they are WILD. they are not prone to disease because they are not confined and always on clean ground.that's why in feeding wild turkeys is discouraged because it congregates them to one area and makes them very susceptible to disease.

The wild turkeys here have a loose schedule and they are always moving. They will come by about the same time each day...and then change. Grazing as they go. I never see them dead on the road.......or anywhere else for that matter.

Walt

I found this interesting and thought I would share the link on this thread.

I know I am not the only one that wished the poultry industry's big feed producers/mills would offer us at least a choice for ANIMAL PROTEIN to be put back into our feed!
old.gif

maybe we need a petition of sorts directed at some major players like Nutrena, Purina, Star Mills & Cargill.

THE FUTURE OF ANIMAL PROTEIN IN POULTRY DIETS

Multi-State Poultry Meeting
May 14-16, 2002

Gary G. Pearl, D.V.M.

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/poultry/multistate/Multi State Poultry.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom