Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a request for a tough one. Rose Comb White Minorca's. Does anyone know if Urch has White Minorca's? Does anyone have black Rose Comb Minorca's? Does anyone have White Minorca's any comb in the USA?

If you have a tip please post trying to help a guy out who needs some stock and has a plan.

Minn has some great Black Single Combs with Adrian Radamaher. That's as far as my inventory of stock goes.

Look forward to your help in bird dogging this subject. bob

Quote: Here's a pic http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/poultry/chickens/minorca/whtrose.htm

and a URL to a lead, re: WyandotteTX
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/Minorca
No birds for sale here, but maybe a lead?
http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/for_sale/Minorca/Rose Comb White/Bantam Chicken

and some reading for your friend:
Minorcas of every comb and color (1907)
http://archive.org/details/minorcasofeveryc00nort
Ad for this book from Poultry Fancier, Volume 11 , Nov. 1908 .
"MINORCAS OF EVERY COMB AND Color.' the title of the very latest book on this breed. The author is Mr. George H. Northrup, known far and wide as one of the foremost breeders and judges in the country. This well written, well Illustrated book, by one of the greatest authorities, will prove valuable and Instructive to all lovers of Minorcas. This book contains 106 pages and has a chapter on each of the following subjects: History of Minorcas, Hardiness of Black Minorcas. Description of Single Comb Black Minorcas. The Minorca as a General Purpose Fowl. Origin of Rose Comb Black Minorcas, Progress of Rose Comb Black Minorcas, The Comparative Value of Rose and Single Comb Black Minorcas, How to Select and Mate Minorcas. Hatching and Rearing Minorca Chicks. Influence of Color-Breeding on Color of Eggs, Color and Development of Color in Black Minorcas. Fitting Minorcas for the Show Room, History of Single Comb White Minorcas. Rose Comb White Minorcas. Buff Minorcas, Mottled Minorcas and Barred Minorcas. Mailed postage prepaid on receipt of price, 50 cents. Successful Poultry Journal. 355 Dearborn St.. Chicago, 111. tf-10-08"
--------------------
Minorcas; all varieties (1898)
(same author as above )
http://archive.org/details/minorcasallvarie00nort
-------------------
The Poultry Item, Volume 17 ( this vol. incudes Nov. 1914 thru Oct. 1915)
100 hits on "Minorca" in this Vol.
Vol. 17 , Num. 12 , Oct. 1915 Page 18
Single Comb Black Minorcas
What They Are and What We Should Strive For In Breeding

By Chester E. Tracy, M. D., Castleton-on-the Hudson, N. Y.
http://tinyurl.com/l24m97f
Well now, this is interesting. Apparently this Oct. issue of The Poultry Item is full of Minorca articles due to the contest below: (excerpt from this Vol. Oct. Issue) , "
THAT MINORCA ARTICLE CONTEST
Through the generosity of Mr. J. V. McConnell, Box 279, Garden Grove, Cal., we were enabled to publish on page 40 of the September Poultry Item conditions of a unique contest designed to stimulate interest in Minorcas, particularly the S. C. Blacks, and to make this October Exposition-Minorca Special as fine a boost for the breed as possible. Mr. McConnell offered one of his splendid S. C. Black Minorca cockerels bred from 222 egg trap-nested hen and valued at $15 as a prize to the author of the best article on the variety which should be submitted to the Poultry Item staff on or before September 18th, the staff to be the judge in this contest. There were a few other little conditions with which practically all of the writers have complied.
Just nineteen articles of varying length and interest and coming from authors residing in ten different states were submitted. The states represented are Pennsylvania, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, Vermont, Texas and Oregon.
Owing to the brief time which has elapsed between the closing date of the contest and the closing date of the October forms, and the necessary absence of several members of the Poultry Item staff at the various important fall fairs, we have been unable to judge the manuscript submitted and award the prize, so announcement must be deferred until the November issue. The winner of the contest will, no doubt, be advised by mail in the very near future, however, and the prize cockerel will be started from his home in sunny California toward the _ home of his new owner."
---------------------------
American Poultry Advocate, Volume 31, Jan. 1923 ,
Page 59 and on .
The Satisfying Minorcas
By Prof. L. N. Gilmore

Pages 65, 66, 108 .
The Rose Comb Black Minorca
By An Old Fancier
---------------------------
MINORCA FOWLS:
Their Breeding and Management for Eggs
and for the Show Pen.

By FRED BIGGS,
HON. SEC. THE LONDON MINORCA CLUB.
WITH THE
Standard of Perfection of the London Minorca Club.
fourth Edition, 1898?
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924081087698;view=2up;seq=8

Last edited:
Quote:Originally Posted by Robert Blosl

Cut..... So it may work very well. But you take R I Reds from Mass and one from Illiniois and one from Calif and cross them all up. Boy the sparks are going to hit the fan.

I think I've noticed a lot of people on the boards, that I've read from the past, post before my time, and that's what happened to them. The thing is, if you have a plan, it may seem at first like you're going backwards but I bet you'll see improvements in the F2's and certainly by the F3's.

Most people loose so much control they just give up and don't even start over again. yes. What they should have done is get a good start from Mass or R I sland or from Illinois and plowed away with. Many of you are doing this right now and will have success and if you need new blood some day for vigor go back to someone who has pure Mr. So and Sos line. You will be back in he drivers seat for many years to come.

I've never worked with chickens before, but have 10 years with Chinchillas, weird but true, and we didn't approche it like that. Then again, it's mamals vs fowl. I have much to learn, and unfortunately I have much curiosity!! So hard to squelch that curiosity!

String men like Mr. Miller did breed many of his old breeds and I am sure he bought some from good breeders these guys ran the Fair Secrets years ago going in a pick up and a two ton trailer with chickens bantams and waterfowl to the State Fairs. The last big one was Wilbur Stauffer. He would come to your house at night with a flash light and pull champions off the roost. He had a eye for a fowl and was a killer judge as well. He did not breed these birds why should he could buy them show them and then sell them at the end of the road to beginners. They where good birds. If he was doing this today I would tell you to meet him at the last show and see what he had to get you a good start of rare breeds.

cut...

I have been thinking a lot about Urchs birds. Lots of old time genes locked up in those rare breeds. Hope some of you got some as God only knows one day when he says he has to retire. The old lines will go up in smoke in two to three years. bob

Now I'm hoping he holds out until January, LOL. I don't want to start a flock in the fall again, not the best time, and I need every advantage!

Karen, your description of 3 way breeding was pretty much what I oiginally was planning on. That was very interesting, thank you!

BTW Karen, I'm pretty sure we still have sex linked genes in mammals. Perhaps, going from mamals to birds, you would simply flip the system. instead of breeding 3rd male to hybrid females to get nearly identical offspring, you'd do the breeding of 3rd female to hybrid males? It seems like this goes back to the propensity we were discussing earlier? But it does seem that propensity in fowl can come from either the male or female... We need some experiments, LOL

Just a thought?

Very interesting concept, as what I was thinking wasn't so sophisticated or complex but did involve 3 strains doing basically the same thing. I'm off to check out your site!

Last edited:
While I am not a Barnevelder guy, it would be much easier to ask Mr. Urch directly this kind of question. You will get the answer straight from him.

BTW, I forgot to announce that I finally got my ASOP in the mail today! It's a much higher quality book than I thought it would be! I also got the year book, which is awesome, I can maybe get to know some names and faces. The yearbook is about what I expected the ASOP to be like, paper back and of that size. So you can imagine my surprise!

BTW, Ignore me if I make no sense, LOL, I'm still in pain and on pain killers, so I'm a bit dopy :lol:

BTW, I forgot to announce that I finally got my ASOP in the mail today! It's a much higher quality book than I thought it would be! I also got the year book, which is awesome, I can maybe get to know some names and faces. The yearbook is about what I expected the ASOP to be like, paper back and of that size. So you can imagine my surprise!

BTW, Ignore me if I make no sense, LOL, I'm still in pain and on pain killers, so I'm a bit dopy
lol.png

The yearbook is a great resource.

Walt

I made a little discovery that I thought I would share especially with all the wet weather and mosquitoes we are dealing with on the East Coast.

Bounce dryer sheets have been used by people for years to keep mosquitoes off. Despite fans, I noticed a few of those nasties flying about in my greenhouse where I have my baby brooder. The mosquitoes are still attracted by the light for the babies at night. I hung Bounce dryer sheets all around the sleeping area just to see if it would work. It DOES work. No more mosquitoes flying about, and the threat of pox much lessened for those babies, who are really not old enough to deal with it. Today the sheets go up in the sleeping coops for every body.

Getting started with White Minorca Rose Comb Large Fowl

Start with four of the best black minioica females that you can buy for type any age older hens the better from say Adraina Radamaker in Minnesota .

Cross a white Minorca male on to the females two black Minorca females to get white chickds but to try to capture the better type from the female black Minorca's females. Then cross the best white chicks on to the best white chicks the next year.
Take a Rose Comb black Minorca and cross him onto the best other two black single comb Minorca females raise all the rose comb checks and then select the chicks that have the best type with a rose comb on their heads; Next year cross the best rose combs onto the best best rose combs that have pick up the single comb type.

Then maybe on the third year cross the best white Minorca's with good type onto the best black rose comb Minorca's who ever captured the classic single comb type from the strain from Minnesota. Then the next two to five years selecting type first on a white miniora with a satisfactory rose comb would be the method of thought or choice maybe?

This would be a ineresting method to bring back a old line of poultry. Keep the Rose Comb Minorca's clean for someone who wants that old style of breed. If you want to keep breding white Minorca's with a Rose Comb when you get a pretty good shape or type going it should take three to five years to improve the rose combs. Should be a ten year project. The plan is eayers than say crossing a silver dorking onto a white dorking as you have the multicolor haunting you for years. In this prouject you have to cull the chicks in the incubator if they don't come out white. With the Minorica plan you are dealing with black and white chickens an d should clean up so much faster. This is a example how you would go about trying to reinventing a new strain of Heriage fowl that goes back beyond say the 1960s. I think it would be a great project and if anyone else has a fowl that is not available this iss how I would go about it. As always if you can get a partner and use a buddy line breeding system it would speed things up much faster in your long term goals. So Randy if you are lurking and see this post this is for you. Gave my barin something to think about last night. Enjoyed the visit on the phone. bob

http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/for_sale/Minorca/Rose Comb Black/advertise.php

http://www.standardbreedpoultry.com/for_sale/Minorca/Rose Comb White/Large Fowl Chicken

White Minorca (MB): When ALBC did a survey of important breeds in our country's development, I realized I hadn't seen one since I was a child. In those days there were large flocks, but now I doubt there are 100 in the whole United States. Ron Nelson, shared some nice birds with us. This breed is another example of where we need to wake up before it is too late. Chicks $5.00 each (10) (SOLD OUT THROUGH 5/21/13sand hill hatchery above
Need a gift for a love one go to my web site and look at my custom turned ink pens. A portion of my profits goes to charitys in our local area and one poultry club The Panhandle Poutlry Club in Penscola Florida. Two shows one in March and December

http://bobspens.webs.com/
ReplyQuote Multi
Add a comment? (optional)
Add to ReputationCancel
Need a gift for a love one go to my web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom