Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making sour milk from non-fat dry milk .

Hi,
I have been reading how sour skim milk is good for growing poultry. I also found out non-fat dried milk
is good for poultry. I found out it's possible to make quality sour milk from dried skim milk. Now to bring
the whole thing full circle....is it possible t make a quality sour milk from non-fat dried milk and have to
be good for the poultry? How do I make sour milk? Can I use a yogurt maker? How do I do it and
how long does it have to sour and how do I tell if it is ready to feed or not?
Thanks for your help!
Best,
Karen

Where are you reading that sour "skim" or "dried" milk is good for poultry?

From what I understand, sour milk is another way of saying clabbered milk. To make clabbered milk, you need raw, unprocessed milk. It needs to be raw because you need the beneficial bacteria in order for the milk to clabber- or sour- rather than spoil.
I've actually tried this. I put a jar of raw milk and a jar of pasteurized milk on the counter and let them sit. They both sour, but the processed milk is putrid & spoiled. The raw milk has soured, so it's more like a yogurt taste. It won't make you sick if you eat it, it's actually good for you. You could probably use a yogurt maker. I actually prefer home made yogurt to the clabbered milk for my own use.
Those beneficial bacteria in raw milk are what's good for the poultry, or any other animal. You can add lemon juice or buttermilk to processed milk to make it sour but it won't have the same health benefits from the good bacteria.

There are people out there that are fanatical about raw milk, but I'm really not one of those. I'm just someone who milks her cows, drinks it raw, didn't die and actually experienced some health benefits from it. I think this is one of those things that the old timers did. They fed their chickens milk from their own cows or goats and the chickens got all the beneficial bacteria etc, from it. Some of the new chicken feeds have these same ingredients added to them.
I think if you try to recreate milk for them from heavily processed milk, it's not going to have the same result. You would be better off finding a source of raw milk from a trustworthy, small farmer.

From what I understand, sour milk is another way of saying clabbered milk. To make clabbered milk, you need raw, unprocessed milk. It needs to be raw because you need the beneficial bacteria in order for the milk to clabber- or sour- rather than spoil.
I've actually tried this. I put a jar of raw milk and a jar of pasteurized milk on the counter and let them sit. They both sour, but the processed milk is putrid & spoiled. The raw milk has soured, so it's more like a yogurt taste. It won't make you sick if you eat it, it's actually good for you. You could probably use a yogurt maker. I actually prefer home made yogurt to the clabbered milk for my own use.
Those beneficial bacteria in raw milk are what's good for the poultry, or any other animal. You can add lemon juice or buttermilk to processed milk to make it sour but it won't have the same health benefits from the good bacteria.

There are people out there that are fanatical about raw milk, but I'm really not one of those. I'm just someone who milks her cows, drinks it raw, didn't die and actually experienced some health benefits from it. I think this is one of those things that the old timers did. They fed their chickens milk from their own cows or goats and the chickens got all the beneficial bacteria etc, from it. Some of the new chicken feeds have these same ingredients added to them.
I think if you try to recreate milk for them from heavily processed milk, it's not going to have the same result. You would be better off finding a source of raw milk from a trustworthy, small farmer.

Some sources say that chickens cannot digest milk but get benefits from the good bacteria in soured milk.

Sour milk should not be a very high percentage of their diet but a little bit is good for them. Kefir is good for chickens too.

Hello Karen,

I have a home dairy. I make clabbered/sour milk for my chickens daily from fresh RAW whole milk. Pasteurized and homogenized milk does not sour properly, but putrifies or rots due to the lack of beneficial bacteria that fresh raw milk has.

What I do is milk the goats and leave it out for 24-48 hours until solids begin to appear that's how to separate the curds from the whey.

I usually feed both unless I want to use the whey for any particular recipe. My flock loves it, are healthy and their feathers glisten in the sun.
When we had our dairy goats we would do that as well, and a neighbor who raised swine used it mixed with corn. That fall he brought us half a pig, and it was delicious!

I used the whey to make gjetost cheese. Yum.

Actually you can get "soured" milk from pasteurized milk if you add in some plain active yogurt. I make homemade butter and use whipping cream mixed with a little yogurt - usually "organic" yogurt or some plain greek yogurt, then let it sit out on the counter a couple of days before I churn it into butter. Gets me where I need to be without trying to find raw, unpasteurized cream/milk since we don't have any cows/goats.

The number one investment to search these folks out is type in the breed you are looking for on Google and bird dog and find them if you can.
Done
Also, subscribe to Poultry Press magazine.
Done
Next is join the American Poultry Association as their year book will show who is showing and winning to some degree and the good shows and the breeders advertise in there as well.
I haven't done this because I have not found many (if any) Silver Campines entered in the shows. I have looked for them in the "show results" reports I see on the websites for the shows. If there is anyone actively showing Silver Campines in the south, I can't find them.

I have ordered a good Candler from a company so I just hold the egg to the light and in one second there is a chick or not then on the eighteenth day in the little Styr foam or wooden home made hatcher and removed and toe punched on the 22 day.
Bob, what kind of incubator do you have and would you recommend it or another brand?

Glad to here you are from near the Birmingham area who wants Silver Capines.
Actually, I am just west of Tuscaloosa. I travel through your area on my way to the coast with the family at least once a year.

I hope to attend the first Mississippi show in October (Mississippi State Fair in Jackson, Oct. 11 and 12?)
and again the big large fowl show at Pensacola Floria in December (14th, Interstate Fairgrounds, ABA/APA Double Show)
then Newnan Georgia show in Feb (14, 15, and 16 Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Winter)
all great shows to be for large fowl down the road. bob

Are these the only shows you feel are large enough to be considered an impressive achievement? What about some of the local shows, like Alabama Chicken and Egg Festival in Moulton (the only show I have ever been to besides State Fairs?)

Quote: Sam Brush in TX has Silver Campines. He's President of the APA. He maybe he will be attending Newnan.
Might contact him and see if he will be a at show you will be attending. Maybe you could get birds from
him and pick them up at a show?
Best,
Karen

Making sour milk from non-fat dry milk .

Hi,
I have been reading how sour skim milk is good for growing poultry. I also found out non-fat dried milk
is good for poultry. I found out it's possible to make quality sour milk from dried skim milk. Now to bring
the whole thing full circle....is it possible t make a quality sour milk from non-fat dried milk and have to
be good for the poultry? How do I make sour milk? Can I use a yogurt maker? How do I do it and
how long does it have to sour and how do I tell if it is ready to feed or not?
Thanks for your help!
Best,
Karen
Karen,

If you add a cup of natural yogurt to reconstituted non-fat dried milk it will clabber. I'd also add some fat to it before I fed it, The protein and the fat are what are so good for poultry.

Pres. of the Georgia Dairy Goat Association in a former life,

Vickie

Quote: Thank you Vickie! I have bags of this non-fat dried milk and looking for a way to use it. Do you have ratios for this recipe?
One cup to how many cups reconstituted NFDM? Can I take the yogurt and RC-NFDM and add it to a yogurt maker, using
regular directions for making yogurt? Can I use the yogurt maker to make regular yogurt, then take a cup of it and add
RC-NFDM, put it back in a clean maker and make sour milk for the birds using yogurt maker instructions?

Any particular kind/how much of fat? Thanks so much for your help!
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom