Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don, Is this true on other breeds?
In my poultry experience the very best place to check the feather undercolor is on the back. Just run your fingers from the rear on the middle of the back.
I have bred great numbers of Brahma bantam and large, columbian rock bantams , Columbian Wyandotte, and had columbian Cochins for many years. For over 25 years I raised over a thousand Brahma each year. Three year ago I cut way back on all of my show fowl.

When Judging how much do you value the under color. As color is (by points) about 1/4 the over all, do you consider the under color to be 1/2 of the color of the bird? 1/3? 1/4? Or is it something you value based on variety? For instance is the under color valued less in a white bird, than in a barred bird(where Barring goes all the way down)?

The back is where look at undercolor when judging any chicken. Undercolor is a lot more important than most people realize.

Walt
I keep on preaching that a good Buff bird is buff to the roots.The back undercolor is key, but you have to watch the undercolor on skirts in Buff Orps too. There are too many two toned Buff Orps out there.

When Judging how much do you value the under color. As color is (by points) about 1/4 the over all, do you consider the under color to be 1/2 of the color of the bird? 1/3? 1/4? Or is it something you value based on variety? For instance is the under color valued less in a white bird, than in a barred bird(where Barring goes all the way down)?
Where the importance of the undercolor really comes into effect is when we are trying to raise some SOP APA type fowl. When it comes to color there is nothing more important than having the correct undercolor. I hope this discussion has helped at least one poultry person.

Quote: There's a lot in Google Books on breeding eb based Silver Columbian. Not so much on eWh based Columbian. Unfortunately, since eWh Silver Columbian are white to the skin in undercolor, it's hard to see how color balancing the undercolor translates (if at all) to the eWh based breeds of this color. The older books on eWh Silver Columbian were written when the breed was still transitioning from eb to eWh based. So there is a lot of breeding counsel which isn't relevant today. I am not sure at this point if the eWh based Silver Columbian breeders in the Southern Hemisphere are using the same genes as breeders up here in the Northern Hemisphere. The best breeding counsel I have been able to access so far comes from the U.K., tho it is difficult to obtain. The 1/2 bro to 1/2 sis breeding I did this Spring has resulted in several youngsters who have dark feathers scattered on their backs which have slid down from, and out of pattern with, a proper hackle. This is not stippling. It is an unwanted extension of the proper hackle. I have no idea how to clean up these birds in the next generation. Can find no help online or in the writings of other eWh based Silver Columbian breeders.
They are 12, 16 and 18 weeks old at this point so (I don't know) but maybe this will clean up after another change of feathers?
Frustration,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: Don, Is this true on other breeds?

My black javas all have black butt fluff. Several have white undercolor on their backs which is hidden by their black back feathers. The undercolor is supposed to be black. So it's true for at least one other breed... you have to look for it specifically...

Sarah

Can one of the judges (Walt?) answer this one, pretty please? Been waiting with a lurkers baited breath... here, let me find that breath mint.....

Breeding is like a chess game - if I do this thing this year, and that thing next year, and make these other moves after that, then a few years down the line I'll get to where I want to be, assuming nothing unpredictable happens...

Looking a few moves down the line, I am eventually going to have to clean up the red areas of my black javas' faces. Some of my birds have a lot of small feathers on the red parts, which makes the red appear dark when it really isn't. The red part needs to be cleaner. Other than selecting birds with the least facial feathers, is there anything else to look for?

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom