Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... DH and I had a LONG discussion regarding breeds etc. last night after reading responses to my post. Biggest issue we have with "staying small" is that WA state is stupid. In order to get NPIP certified you must maintain 30 ADULT birds that can be tested every 90 days for AI. So far have not been able to find a work around. <eye roll> they are shooting themselves in the foot and I can tell already that no one wants to talk how not supporting the little guy is going to put them 'underground' which is how epidemics start, but we'll see. Since I want to sell the HRIR eggs/chicks during season to help boost the breed, NPIP is not going to work unless I up the bird count.

Since Bob suggested 6HRIR for breeding purposes, great. Will keep enough extra adult females around to lay for food also, but 30 adults? Why can't we keep a couple more double trios of something else? And send the results that we don't eat to someone who has the space for the rear n cull on a larger scale. (Breeding partner? Mentor? Yep, hunting for local talent... interviewing one soon...)

We currently have 3 large coops, 2 breeding coops, 3 smaller time-out tractors. We rotate who gets to 'range' and am working on making forage frames and also sprouting in large trays for forage. We've kept chickens before, have ALWAYS wanted to farm, but the VA forced us into more house on less land. Work w what you got and within the gov. regulations u got. If we can make a LITTLE bit of money to cover the rent, we can rent more space (about an acre or so) for 200/mo. We'd probably add a mini milk cow at that point also.

So, If the Java's or Dels are going to require me to hatch 100/yr and I can't really cull until they are 6 mos or older, yes, you are right, we can't do that *on our land*. Have been in conversations with Zanna and a local gentleman about Dels... if we can work out an arrangement, FABU! My husband is pushing to skip the other heritage lines and go with Icelandics. That would mean 15 or so adult icelandics on theproperty at a given time. If I could help with something a little more in need, it keeps me more interested. I told them they'd be his problem. I like rescues, what can I say? Sometimes that works out fabulously (my dogs(one deceased at 16), gerbil and cat(deceased at 13) have all been fabulous additions to the family) sometimes things don't work out.

So, like I said, if we have to keep a certain # adults around, any suggestions for ones I could either 1. feel comfortable selling 90% of the progeny or 2. Someone who'd like to keep "spares" here, just in case the unthinkable happens, (which I've seen on threads before) and you might need the genetics back some day! and could mail them anything I don't sell or eat. And, love you Buckeye folks, but, there's enough of you out there, doesn't quite fit the "rescue", and still would like a visual variety (all red and no mottling makes Aleta's chicken yard something something... <ignore obscure movie reference if you don't get it, it's ok)
Alrighty, children calling for breakfast, finally. They sure slept late today...

Sooo... DH and I had a LONG discussion regarding breeds etc. last night after reading responses to my post. Biggest issue we have with "staying small" is that WA state is stupid. In order to get NPIP certified you must maintain 30 ADULT birds that can be tested every 90 days for AI. So far have not been able to find a work around. <eye roll> they are shooting themselves in the foot and I can tell already that no one wants to talk how not supporting the little guy is going to put them 'underground' which is how epidemics start, but we'll see. Since I want to sell the HRIR eggs/chicks during season to help boost the breed, NPIP is not going to work unless I up the bird count.

Since Bob suggested 6HRIR for breeding purposes, great. Will keep enough extra adult females around to lay for food also, but 30 adults? Why can't we keep a couple more double trios of something else? And send the results that we don't eat to someone who has the space for the rear n cull on a larger scale. (Breeding partner? Mentor? Yep, hunting for local talent... interviewing one soon...)

We currently have 3 large coops, 2 breeding coops, 3 smaller time-out tractors. We rotate who gets to 'range' and am working on making forage frames and also sprouting in large trays for forage. We've kept chickens before, have ALWAYS wanted to farm, but the VA forced us into more house on less land. Work w what you got and within the gov. regulations u got. If we can make a LITTLE bit of money to cover the rent, we can rent more space (about an acre or so) for 200/mo. We'd probably add a mini milk cow at that point also.

So, If the Java's or Dels are going to require me to hatch 100/yr and I can't really cull until they are 6 mos or older, yes, you are right, we can't do that *on our land*. Have been in conversations with Zanna and a local gentleman about Dels... if we can work out an arrangement, FABU! My husband is pushing to skip the other heritage lines and go with Icelandics. That would mean 15 or so adult icelandics on theproperty at a given time. If I could help with something a little more in need, it keeps me more interested. I told them they'd be his problem. I like rescues, what can I say? Sometimes that works out fabulously (my dogs(one deceased at 16), gerbil and cat(deceased at 13) have all been fabulous additions to the family) sometimes things don't work out.

So, like I said, if we have to keep a certain # adults around, any suggestions for ones I could either 1. feel comfortable selling 90% of the progeny or 2. Someone who'd like to keep "spares" here, just in case the unthinkable happens, (which I've seen on threads before) and you might need the genetics back some day! and could mail them anything I don't sell or eat. And, love you Buckeye folks, but, there's enough of you out there, doesn't quite fit the "rescue", and still would like a visual variety (all red and no mottling makes Aleta's chicken yard something something... <ignore obscure movie reference if you don't get it, it's ok)
Alrighty, children calling for breakfast, finally. They sure slept late today...
AletaG - I know there are folks on the Peninsula that have property and may be willing to partner with you. Unfortunately our "Washingtonians" thread got locked but you may want to put a few feelers out on the Eastern WA or Oregon threads for any WA lurkers. Good luck with your up and coming projects
thumbsup.gif

AletaG - I know there are folks on the Peninsula that have property and may be willing to partner with you. Unfortunately our "Washingtonians" thread got locked but you may want to put a few feelers out on the Eastern WA or Oregon threads for any WA lurkers. Good luck with your up and coming projects
thumbsup.gif

Ah.... check again.
wink.png

thumbsup.gif
Ah.... check again.
wink.png
Well, now, nice of you to let us know Mr. Hens... LOL I was SO excited to discover it had been revived/unlocked I almost did a little dance (pre-coffee, no dancing).
You are so right, Coop! Will do that. Also going to contact the folks that own the empty lots adjacent... there's always hope, eh?

Here at poultry plant I get inspected every September. A lady comes to my home and sticks 20 birds anything ducks, bantams large fowl baby chicks whatever I got. I have normally about 30 to 40 something around here.

So what could you do in Washing ton State with a limited number of birds to keep.

Have say two trios of R I Reds and Two Trios of Mottled Java's that is 12 birds.

You could have five Silkies females and five Buff Brahma Bantam females for sitting hens. That is 10.

You should have some young birds that you raised from the two large fowl birds say five each maybe more maybe ten each. All they want to do is stick 30 chickens to earn their pay check.

If you don't want to keep two trios of adult birds farm out a trio to a frined or relative. On the day they come to stick your chickens go get you six or ten chickens from them. Then take them back to therir other homes after they are inspected. You can leave the ID bands son thier legs They may not remove them after they inspect them maybe they will. My inspector removes last years bands and then puts new bands on for say 2013.
Thats how I would skin the CAT and put up with this silly system of BETTER NOT SAY I may get kicked off the thread.

Its over protective and stupid but tthat what the boys and girls in Olympia want to do so that is the Law.

Now can you sell me on the benefits why I would like to own Icelanders?

Tell me why and maybe I may get some.

Last edited:
Bob! I don't have my pitch ready! <freezes>
First, visit http://www.berrytanglefarm.com/icelandics/

The pictures will tell a big reason people like Icees, they are a land race, rather than a breed. Someone on here who loves them quotes a modified Forest Gump "Icee eggs are like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you're going to get until they hatch". I'm sure it would drive a judge crazy, but given they are Viking birds, judging on hardiness would probably be the only thing to do! They are very cold tolerant, clean legged (plus for me) brood well, (SO I hope you don't mind if instead of Brahmas and Silkies I go this route) lay well and the 3 I have are very excellent rangers with great personalities. Here are some old pictures of mine (about a month ago). The top is of my cockerel, he's a doll. The partridge-ish one is the boss, and the second pullet has the softest mottled feathers. She's also most likely to sit on your shoulder and explain that you should REALLY feed her first. Pretty sure these will never get sick from anything, a big plus for me at the moment...

I'm tellin' ya. The gov't is getting it all b---ackwards on this one... If I did what you suggest, even guessing I find someone willing to work with me on that, wouldn't I be risking transporting infection back and forth every 90 days? I'd better just figure out how to maintain 30 over 16wk birds on the property. If I find someone close by, will consider it.
How's this:
2 Trios HRIR = 6
2 Trios Icee = 12
2 Trios Del or Java or ? = 18
1 quad Bantams = 22
Best of HRIR progeny = well over 30
GREAT husbandry practices, rotating ranging, mealie worm farming, BSF farming, grain sprouting will be *extremely* important for us with this many birds in this little space. Fortunately, I'm OCD. Very.

I could just skip being able to ship. This is possible. And just maintain scrupulous testing records for myself. Then I'd probably go with:
2 Trios HRIR
1 Trio Icee
maybe 1 Trio Bantams
Random grown out kept HRIR/Icee hens for eating eggs; grown out cockerels picking for good type.
But then, would be focused on driving distance only market, and would not be able to work with my Icee friend... she's NPIP.

Quote: Bob,
From friends, blogs and BYC threads I've observed over the past few years they seem to be about as reliably broody as Silkies... as but LF and are decent layers of decent sized eggs too...not to mention they could clutch a bigger batch of eggs...serious phenotypical diversity too..."coat of many colors" if one enjoys a menagerie look to their flock the caveat is that they can be quite wily as in escape artists with decent flight factor...of course that's their 'land race' background shining through.
big_smile.png

Bob,
From friends, blogs and BYC threads I've observed over the past few years they seem to be about as reliably broody as Silkies... as but LF and are decent layers of decent sized eggs too...not to mention they could clutch a bigger batch of eggs...serious phenotypical diversity too..."coat of many colors" if one enjoys a menagerie look to their flock the caveat is that they can be quite wily as in escape artists with decent flight factor...of course that's their 'land race' background shining through.
big_smile.png

Icelandics are the province of The Sheriff. I have been watching the antics of Icelandics on Stellas Social Club--they are chickens with Attitude! and little escape artists.

If you get them, make sure to stay away from the glue and make sure your heart is working correctly.....

...in fairness, forgot to mention... it's usually better to skin them then try to pluck them. Apparently (these are our first, so no first hand knowledge yet) it's very hard to remove the feathers and the skin is super tough. Again... Icelandic Viking Chickens! ...and they ARE escape artists. But, I think they finally figured out that the dog is out *there* and they are safer inside... haven't had one fly over in a few weeks.

AletaG, A minimum of 30 birds to be tested, if fewer than 30 birds on premise, than all adult birds will be tested. NPIP is a national program that is run by the state, any birds I have tested in NPIP program for PA I have always followed the NPIP's guidelines for AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom