Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was growing up in Southwest West Washington my mother only had about 10 laying hens and I don't even think she had a rooster. This was in the 1950s. Many people only had a hand full of laying hens and that was just fine with them. Even during my early days of 4 H I did not have thirty total birds. How in the heck can they thing those silly people in Power in Olympia that a child who wants to show a fiew bi9rds can average a minimum of 30 t0tal birds. I know only a hand full of people have this inspector come to their home to check their birds. but here is the rub. Can you imagine a mom ordering a $2,000 chicken house and having it set up on their back yard she gets 10 Chicken Egger pullets from the City Feed store has them in the pen and then this Chicken police inspector finds out she has only ten and says you have to have them inspected and if you don't have at least 30 you got to get rid of them or me and my boys are coming to kill all of them by this Friday afternoon. What is theirs world coming to.

My inspector who has been testing my birds for at least ten years is responsible for this section of my state or Baldwin County Alabama. She lives in Montgomery area and comes to our homes to check our chickens. In my county that is 100 miles long and 50 miles wide there are only maybe six of us she checks per year. Yet there are hundreds of us with back yard chickens. I am the only one in my feed store of maybe 100 customers who buy chicken feed who has this service done on.
Why does Washington State need to be in our lives and tell folks like you this is how it has to be is it because you need this paper work to ship eggs or chicks to people? What about the folks who just want ten R I Reds the H ones for pets?

I am glad I dont live there anymore. What happens if you live like many do that I have communicated with on this tread who cant have roosters or the people in their subdivision says they can have 12 birds but no roosters because of the noise factor.

Well lets get back to chickens. Ice Landers you keep as many as you can. Then get you some big old fat Rhode Island Reds or What ever the top breed you want and hand full of young birds that you can keep and raise that are old enough to rate in the 30 birds that they have to touch every 90 days.

If you cannot transport ten birds from Cousin Ricky's house back and forth to your house five miles away and they are your birds Then I dont know what to think.

What you said about this and you would like to live somewhere else shows the freedoms we dont have any more in this country and how in a flick of a eye these people who are in power could put us right out of our hobby. Heck when I was living in a Apartment complex in Tenn I was going to have four Red Bantam females in a pen on my porch as pets. What if Walt sent me six Seroumas in cages and I had them in my house or on the porch of my apartment. They would say you cant have five Seromu they have to be at minimum of 30 that's the law.

O boy let me get back to my kitchen table and look for some pills to take. I got some more glue but its wooden glue. I am going to make three 7 1/2 pens by 3 feet wide in my 9d large fowl 8x8 breeding pens to put my bantam bre3ders in. I am going to divide it in half with a wall of rabbit wire and put one hen in each pen. This will give me 8 little pens to rotate the male to each female. Then I am going to make a 2x2 foot divider between the whole pen with a gate and put a female in catch one of these on tthree pens. This will give me a total 12 pens ten which will have a female and two empty to let a male rest one day then rotate him to the pens of then females. I plan to toe punch each egg and wing band them as I go along. In the other 8x8 pen I am going to have nest made out of milk crates that are sold at wall mart about six of them I will have ten eater egg dummy eggs in each one paited brown and in there I will have five silikie pullets and three buff Brahma female hens and hope they will go broody on me then after they do put the good eggs under them and leave them under them till the 19 th day and then put them in a Hatcher to hatch the eggs in pedigree baskets. Somewhere a person said they are going to buy fronts for trap nesting. This is how I am going to do it with my R I Red bantams. I just hope I dont hatch and raise any Red Rock bantams as if I do the meat cleaver is coming out.

So glad you wrote you story. This should make many of you think how lucky we are that we have the freedom to have chickens without the Police inspectors coming around and telling us what we can and can not do.

Now the question to the fellow who inspects peoples cichens who is a breeder and maybe goes to a chicken show now and then. Is it required by the law in your state that you have to have someone like you come to thier home if they have a backyard lot of bantams or laying hens ?????

Off to bed to count goats. By the way I went to Cheryl Cohen's web site in Calif and she no longer has the line of Silver Penciled Rocks that where pictured on the Plymouth Rock Thread. Where did those birds end up at?

Last edited:
Hey Bob B.
Remember what you said a while back about looking at the birds one day and wondering what you had...
then the next week looking at them and wow!

Well that happened here today! I went out to check the chickens after dark, had them in the coop and turned on the light. My coop is raised so I was looking at them at waist level. There are 2 cockerels in this grow out flock. The one I am watching, then the other crossed the coop in front of me....Zowie! Where did this bird come from?!? He is bigger ,so must be from the April 15th hatch. Oh my, is he lovely! A even better version of his sire, Junior. Long, level back (drool), Lovely , medium size tail with great angle set. Superior breast development. That stunning, long, long, "ship in a bottle" Sussex type. This boy will never be mistaken for anything but a Sussex! The hackle is lovely. Nice bold black stripes completely surrounded by crisp clean white lacing. His body is situated just perfectly on his legs which are straight and strong. His snow white saddle is a thing of beauty. This was a 1/2 bro to 1/2 sis breeding thru a common sire (3x Grand Ch. stud cock "Senior")
Happy Camper,
Karen
Karen,
How super for you ! I've always found it to be a real thrill to find a jewel in the flock. I think we spend so much time worrying about faults sometimes, that we miss the whole picture. I try to look at many of other peoples' birds to maintain some sense of objectivity. I seem to always see things in a new light after that. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes it's, "oh dear, need to work on that ". Sure is fun to find a star though !

Off to bed to count goats. By the way I went to Cheryl Cohen's web site in Calif and she no longer has the line of Silver Penciled Rocks that where pictured on the Plymouth Rock Thread. Where did those birds end up at?

Cheryl sold off all of her birds this winter, due to health problems i believe -- I'm not sure who ended up with her breeding stock, i only have two of her SPPR hens, both are a little over a year old and have been broody twice this year, both make excellent moms. and they are *gorgeous* -- but i don't have a male to go with them.

Karen glad you saw this its something to fell good about and even after all these years I get excited when I see something I never saw befor last year I had to surpise. I had a Red Banam hen that produced a small egg and her chicks are smaller almost two to four oz smaller than the other breeding family I have. So I am on a binge to try to cross this small style red bantam onto my other fad which is a flat back look alike large fowl red bantam female with a ten degree lift on their backs which I have never seen on a common today Red Bantam. WHAT IF if can get the to to jell?

Of course maybe on my 25 th year of this shrinking down a large fowl to a bantam I can pull this off.

Sorry to here about Cheryl selling off her birds. I communicated with her often about her Silver Penciled Rocks.

So after all this work there are only two birds to show for and no male?

Does anyone else know what happen to the Padgett birds?

Does anyone else have Danny Padgett Silver Penciled Rocks?

Last edited:
Sorry to here about Cheryl selling off her birds. I communicated with her often about her Silver Penciled Rocks.

I'm sure someone else has the core of her breeding stock -- i got my two pullets from her about 6 months before she sold off the flock.

Last edited:
Karen glad you saw this its something to fell good about and even after all these years I get excited when I see something I never saw befor last year I had to surpise. I had a Red Banam hen that produced a small egg and her chicks are smaller almost two to four oz smaller than the other breeding family I have. So I am on a binge to try to cross this small style red bantam onto my other fad which is a flat back look alike large fowl red bantam female with a ten degree lift on their backs which I have never seen on a common today Red Bantam. WHAT IF if can get the to to jell?

Of course maybe on my 25 th year of this shrinking down a large fowl to a bantam I can pull this off.

Does anyone else know what happen to the Padgett birds?

Does anyone else have Danny Padgett Silver Penciled Rocks?

Cheryl shared her Silver Pencil Rocks with Shannon.

http://www.dieflyranch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=166

Karen,
How super for you ! I've always found it to be a real thrill to find a jewel in the flock. I think we spend so much time worrying about faults sometimes, that we miss the whole picture. I try to look at many of other peoples' birds to maintain some sense of objectivity. I seem to always see things in a new light after that. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes it's, "oh dear, need to work on that ". Sure is fun to find a star though !

Yup! A month ago I wanted to eat everything and get into rabbits!

Here's something I just posted on another site. Unfortunately the sun wasn't working with us, and we had to do a make-shift posing station which was only so successful. In none of these photos does she hold herself in a truly natural pose. She's holding her feathers more tightly to her body in preparation to fly, giving her the appearance of being more tightly feathered than she is. However, the Dorkings one sees are usually too loosely feathered. Try to imagine her totally relaxed at the feeder having breakfast before the pesky human snatched up for an inopportune photo shoot.

Notice:
1). the length of back.
2). how her breast descends from her neck to form an intersection with her body a quasi-right angle.
3) Notice how her breast is carried "well forward".
4) Notice how her shanks descend from her body without visible sign of thigh.
5) She carries her wings in alignment with her back, well folded
6) because of her nervousness, she's not holding her tail in a natural position. The first photo has her tail too spread, the second too folded. The second is closer to the Standard; it should be well folded with the base appearing slightly wider than the tip; it is not fanned.
7) her toes aren't perfect; there's no enough separation and they should be angled up more.
8 ) She shows a long, deep abdomen betraying her laying capacity with another +/- right angle responding to the cut of the breast. She is not "tucked-up" in any way.
9). Her fluff is correct. Dorking fluff is "moderately full, smooth in surface". Dorkings are not poofy. There should be nothing of the Cochin or Orpington in their feather quality. The fluff fills out the rectangle but stops short of overflowing in any way.
10) Her feathering is up to Standard: "moderately broad and long, fitting fairly close to the body." Again, Dorking are in no way loose feathered. They should have clean lines and no drooping feathers. For all of their size and broad contours, their outline is sleek.
11) Her neck is "short and arched" and her neck feathers are "full and abundant, flowing over shoulders, tapering to the head."
12) The last photo shows her feather quality as being "moderately broad and long". I'd like even more width of feather, but what she has is respectable.
13) She's still a bit shy of Standard pullet weight, being 5lbs., but that's alright at this point. I'm certainly not feeding them for weight. She spends her days free-ranging and being quite active.

She's not the perfect Dorking, but overall she is show quality. I expect, too, that she will be generally productive, as our strain is wont to be.
In short, she's a good little bird

Last edited:
So why not get bantams? They take exactly 1/2 the space as the large fowl . I think there is a RIR bantam.
There are bantams in other popular breeds like Marans, etc. Bantams don't have to be hot house birds.
They can be hardy too. There are at least 3 top show lines of Bantam Speckled Sussex. Gary Overton; Mongold; and Skytop.
Best,
Karen
I adored owning bantams, when I did. I had two main problems though once my kids went off to college and I had to chore everything myself: the males (I was breeding Dutch and Buckeye bantams) would not live with each other in peace, they had to be housed individually. That meant tons of cages that had to be chored individually, which added about an hour to my over all chore time, twice a day.

As well, the hens are too small to be effectively contained by electric poultry netting, they can slip right through. I use that stuff everywhere around here, and it keeps the LF in well.

Some day, when I am rich, I will have my dream barn like Shelby Harringtons, and hot and cold running staff to do the chores for me.
wink.png
Until then, it's just me most days, and because I also have a home-based business I work at seven days a week, spending three to four hours a day doing chores (we also have horses, goats, and multiple dogs and cats), just isn't something I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom