Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff

I double-mated last yr to clean up color a bit. Probably will not this year. I think from what I read you can single mate, with an occasional double mating to clean up color as need be

Scott yes you can single mate. However in my opinion I would continue to double mate at least until you get the type you want set in both males and females. I would worry more about the type than the color. Get the tails set in the males etc etc etc first.

Jeff is correct in stating that most Columbian breeders double mate to maintain their lines. Many of them are running 4 lines two for pullets and two for cockerels. It is one of the joys of breeding party colored birds and a reason that many people do not do this with success.

Another alternative is to have a hen or cock based line. In other words you will have really good females or really good males. With single mating it often tends to end up being a really good male line over a period of time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wf...+of+poultry&lr=#v=onepage&q=columbian&f=false

I sent ya an email

good luck with the birds
charlie

I was doing some home work for a friend who wanted some help for barred rocks and found this post Jamie made a while back on this site. He must not come back on here much anymore. Also, if you can go to the Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America site or find the 2012 internet year book I think the article is on there that he wrote for one of my Quarterly Newsletters that explains it very well. As beginners you got to go slow on this stuff as this is advanced work for beginners but once you get the hang of what he is doing the dividends are priceless. Just like breeding it needs to be done simple with say two family's and also which goes with it is the worry of inbreeding and loosing vigor. If you choose vigor as your number one trait I don't think you will get into trouble with breeding over say five years. Also, with the different people who live five hundred miles apart who have the same strain you can swap eggs or chicks with each other every four years or so and then cross into your line for a fresh boost if you think you need it. In regards to Frank Reese Barred Rocks do they really have a hard time hatching ? I was told by a source that he may have crossed white rock blood into them down the road. That means maybe they are not pure barred rocks for 50 years. I don't know if this is true or not.

But if you got some from New York and some from Kathy of Mo or Jeremy in Nebraska and crossed them in two or three years you should have a nice shot of fresh blood to boost your vigor. Now what about crossing a Marvin Stukel line male onto two of Franks top females. What do you have to loose. You will get a big kick in fresh blood and yes maybe a bunch of faults to but they are the same line just 30 years apart or more from the original owner. If you are willing to cull hard and pick the birds you like I think within three years you will have a nice line of vigor's birds and hopefully improved tails. If it does not work out scrap the project and go into another direction. If you have some of Marvin's birds that have been line breed for say 50 years I would not cross them to improve them as Marvin has done all this work already. You would be better off keep working with a good program of your own then get some fresh blood from Marvin or Mr. Weaver say in five years if you think you need new vigor. I think the most important thing we need to do is pick a inelegant line breeding method put it down on paper keep good records and just move forward. trying to keep it simple as can be and focus more on just raising good birds and try to improve them each year and not go backwards.
I do no think there is a vigor or fertility issue with those Rocks. I had a slow start, but I was starting with cockerels/pullets that were not "quite ready". I waited a little bit and had good results. I tried different things, but I believe patience was the answer.

Does any one know what the price range for started birds would be from a good breeder. Seems like, I have seen $60 for a trio quoted on a thread before, but that seems a little low. Unless they meant $60 per bird. I hope that is not what they meant! Any help, even if it is guesstimates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Does any one know what the price range for started birds would be from a good breeder. Seems like, I have seen $60 for a trio quoted on a thread before, but that seems a little low. Unless they meant $60 per bird. I hope that is not what they meant! Any help, even if it is guesstimates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
thats a broad area of all sorts of differences to cover there, maybe a little closer on breed or rarity of the ones in ques. would get you a closer/better answer. J/S

Jeff

Thanks,

Mark
Mark

I will be totally dependent upon the breed/variety and the rareity of it....it will also depend upon "how good" the birds are. If they are show worthy, they will cost more than just a bird to breed from.

I am regularly offered $100 - $125 for a trio of my birds that are "breeder quality"

Does any one know what the price range for started birds would be from a good breeder. Seems like, I have seen $60 for a trio quoted on a thread before, but that seems a little low. Unless they meant $60 per bird. I hope that is not what they meant!  Any help, even if it is guesstimates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

As the others have said it does vary by breeder, around these parts for fully grown adult large fowl of good quality (actual good quality) you're in the $50 - $100 a bird range, barring special circumstances.

Quote: Started pure English strain Light Sussex from the proven show strain I have go for 100. a bird plus shipping.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi,
I was asked if I was going to be showing my Light Sussex at the OH National. Unfortunately, no.
I only have one day to run up there. No way to leave the birds there for multiple days.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom