Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has changed her mind Walt and she don't want Seromas. She told me to look for some Blue Nacked Neck Bantams to put in the bird cages. But Heck I cant find any bird cages the cost to much. May have to tell her to settle for some runner ducks.

Posted some pictures Walt on their. Those Calif Columbian Rock Bantams that junior had two or three years ago I posted where killers.

Don't know if any of them are still around but boy they had good color and type. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818817/heritage-bantam-thread

Nice Bird Walt Congratulations and look folks at the finish on this girl. No special feeds or gimmicks just good old fashion care and nutrition. For educational purposes I borrowed this colored picture. Don't know who it belongs to but nice picture to compare this great female to. New Hamps are on the rise. Who would think three years ago. bob

Last edited:
Gee Bob, would you consider a turkey thread?? I am down sizing my auburns, apparently an old breed but not SOP, so I am flying blind. I can see a bit of a size difference, but otherwise I see the leg coloring is different. I think I am blind though because I didn't realize this until I butchered a couple . THe legs stayed pink. I rather like the look, but Mr Porter says to follow the Bronze SOP but the feather colors vary widely on a particular bird and from bird to bird. SOme of the feathers look faded. BUt maybe they are supposed to be. IDK??

IF anyone has info you can pm me, don't want to hijack the LF thread.

Mitch it will be alright you'll get used to it and they will too eventually. Its just a phase of a newbie going thru the Curmudgeon club hazing process is all. Don't let the the geezers and the overly empowered ones(some think they are anyways) on here get you. Its a public thread you can do or say what you will(right or wrong)(you'll be corrected for sure, We have the SOP police, the RIR posse, some judges-poultry and public, a preacher or two, they all will correct your English, sentence structures, rights and wrongs, behavior, manners, a lot of things on here. And its ok you will be very well taken care of and advised) all as long as it don't violate the BYC rules. Will it piss folks off? more than likely I been doing for 4 years now and some(a few) still like me. So what if your wrong or some think you are, they been wrong before too. More often times they are right more so than wrong but you know we can't all be perfect. I usually catch it, sometimes post it, sometimes not. I "ain't" seen nobody on here walking on water "yet"
wink.png
I think there are some of these show fowl that can come close to doing it though, the breeders and owners, nah not so much.

Read these few post starting around here I'm sure it'll brighten your morning and give some enlightenment on the situation too. They are proud Curmudgeons too, huh guys? LOL
roll.png
I have other choice words for them sometimes as I'm sure they do me too, but the sensors block them evertime it try to post it up on here LOL sticks and stones boys LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/11470#post_10791094

Jeff

Its hard for new folks to be welcomed into a poultry breeders world it takes decades or more to get up the steps to get to the door to get your foot in. It takes much proof of worthiness, I'm still grovelling at the feet of the Masters LOL

Sorry Jeff but I will never get used to someone coming off like an expert when they aren't. There are two teens on BYC (Zack Rose and Ryan Carel) that I have no problem with posting breeding proceedures, so ti's not an age thing........but I have a problem with anyone posting that if they don't really know breeding to the Standard. If you want to be an expert in this thread.....Great! but please know what you are talking about because the 200K people on here believe anything they read here. Again it is nothing personal, but online people believe what they see posted unless someone questions it. I'm questioned daily here .....you have to get over it. For the record...I'm still learning this too.

I don't think the average person has any problems coming into the poultry world and most folks think I am pretty helpful. The two things I have low tolerance for are: Online "experts" and people who keep asking the same question over and over and over because they are not getting the answer they want to hear.

Maybe he can help you with your New Hamps.

Walt

My wife has changed her mind Walt and she don't want Seromas. She told me to look for some Blue Nacked Neck Bantams to put in the bird cages. But Heck I cant find any bird cages the cost to much. May have to tell her to settle for some runner ducks.

Posted some pictures Walt on their. Those Calif Columbian Rock Bantams that junior had two or three years ago I posted where killers.

Don't know if any of them are still around but boy they had good color and type. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818817/heritage-bantam-thread

Maybe you should consider some of those Showgirls (naked neck Silkies). I see they are going for qualification in the ABA.....although they are not letting them use that sexist name "Showgirls". What is a male Showgirl called?

There are 4-5 young people here in CA that have outstanding Columbian Rocks.

Walt

Quote: Hi,
I know this is a large fowl thread. But if you are looking for a stunning bantam HB may I suggest bantam Speckled Sussex. There are several veteran top show lines around to choose from and a growing enthusiastic fancy for this variety. Skytop Bantams in PA , Jackie Koedatich, have done a splendid job of melding Mongold and Overton strains to create their smashing strain of show birds. Take a look at "Party" and "Lilly", now *that* is stunning Sussex breed type! : http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html . Rev, Paul Ashbrook created at lovely line and just a while ago, sold it . A Painted Feathers Farm http://www.paintedfeathersfarm.webs.com obtained some and are crossing it with Overton :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631078/bantam-speckled-sussex-chicks
Walt Reichert in KY is tearing up the ring with his large fowl Speckled Sussex. Walt Reichert , Simpsonville, KY , 502-722-2951 [email protected] KY Speckled Sussex
Rob Mongold [email protected] had some lovely bantam Speckled Sussex, as I remember. Here is his 2002 website via archive.org. http://tinyurl.com/la3ov69

Has good info and a breeders directory. The Sussex Club mentioned on this website failed and the Club I wrote about below is the new Club.
The Speckled Sussex is the most difficult of the Sussex varieties to breed for color. However, in these strains the work in setting color and body type has already been done for you by Master Breeders. Check the Judges Directory at the American Poultry Association website and look up Judge Overton ( also known as Mr. Sussex) 937-839-5626 . He can help you with securing some superior birds. Tony Albritton of Idaho has excellent large fowl has Speckled Sussex . See his ad here on Page 3 : http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/downloads/ep3-5.pdf
Plus there are several breeders out there who are 1-2 generations down from crossing some of these strains and may have some lovely birds available. You can also check the Breeders Directory at the parent Club. The American Sussex Breeders Association at : http://americansussexbreeders.webs.com/
Best Regards,
Karen

[FONT=Arial Narrow Bold+FPEF][FONT=Arial Narrow Bold+FPEF]Jackie Koedatich[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF][FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF], 47 C \ottage S treet,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF][FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF]Belchertow n, M A 01007. 570-269-4666,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF][FONT=Arial Narrow+FPEF][email protected]. Bantam Chicken[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Maybe you should consider some of those Showgirls (naked neck Silkies). I see they are going for qualification in the ABA.....although they are not letting them use that sexist name "Showgirls". What is a male Showgirl called?

There are 4-5 young people here in CA that have outstanding Columbian Rocks.

Walt
Naming a "male showgirl" would probably get me banned from BYC, LOL.....however, Walt, on the Columbian Rocks, are you referring to bantams or standards?

I reason I ask is selfishly to have some help with the standards, but on the bantam side, 3 people have asked me about Columbian Rock bantams just this past week and I don't know where to guide them

THANKS

Sorry Jeff but I will never get used to someone coming off like an expert when they aren't. There are two teens on BYC (Zack Rose and Ryan Carel) that I have no problem with posting breeding proceedures, so ti's not an age thing........but I have a problem with anyone posting that if they don't really know breeding to the Standard. If you want to be an expert in this thread.....Great! but please know what you are talking about because the 200K people on here believe anything they read here. Again it is nothing personal, but online people believe what they see posted unless someone questions it. I'm questioned daily here .....you have to get over it. For the record...I'm still learning this too.

I don't think the average person has any problems coming into the poultry world and most folks think I am pretty helpful. The two things I have low tolerance for are: Online "experts" and people who keep asking the same question over and over and over because they are not getting the answer they want to hear.

Maybe he can help you with your New Hamps.

Walt

Well it really wasn't your posts that got me it was one on here questioning the feller on who in the "Hell he thought he was"? Well on here who in the hell has that authority to ask such? We are all the same, MEMBERS by title unless it says Administrator or Moderator out beside your name. We all put our britches on one leg at a time.

I don't need too much help with the NHs Walt, I got my end of it, thanks for the advice though. If I do, I sure know who to go to he's not on much and he does good with them and he "ain't a braggert and blow hard" for sure.

Jeff

BTW if your mentoring Ryan maybe remind him to seek a little more input I hear he got rid of a killer Red male(been inquired on a good bit on here/ if that matters much at all) even though it was on the small side still could have been used somewhere in a breeding plan probly huh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom