Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most effective way to eliminate internal parasites is to have a manure sample tested by a lab or a vet or anyone who knows what to look for with a microscope. Once you know what parasites you are dealing with, if any, you can do targeted worming with the appropriate wormer. That way, you aren't treating unnecessarily, underdosing or overdosing.
I am not a fan of the shotgun approach either.

It is not hard to get where you can "float" them yourself.

At the end of the day, that would be a lot of trouble for most.

I will not pay a vet to do anything with my birds.

If you hit up the fermented feed for meat birds and the natural chicken keeping thread... keep an eye for BeeKissed 's posts. Best non-pharm approach is combine crushed garlic, pumkin seeds, and castor oil. Also, a drop or 2 of Dawn dish soap in the water bucket (cleans off the worms protective coating so the treatments can kill 'em easier). Of course, go the pharm route if you intend to usually go that way, and the natural route if you prefer that way already. You often can cancel out the good you do walking both paths at the same time.
Luck,
-AG
I just got a personnel message from some on who I have been trying to locate some old H large fowl
They got a four year old hen and two year old hen and a 18 moth male bird. They want o give them a general worming before breeding season this winter. What would you recommend they give these old bird to clean them out if they may have worms?
Look forward to your suggestions. bob

The most effective way to eliminate internal parasites is to have a manure sample tested by a lab or a vet or anyone who knows what to look for with a microscope. Once you know what parasites you are dealing with, if any, you can do targeted worming with the appropriate wormer. That way, you aren't treating unnecessarily, underdosing or overdosing.
I am not a fan of the shotgun approach either.
It is not hard to get where you can "float" them yourself.
At the end of the day, that would be a lot of trouble for most.
I will not pay a vet to do anything with my birds.
... if you use drugs... you probably should test. If you don't, then <shrug>
I tried the above treatment on mine, prior to figuring out what was wrong, and their comb and wattle color got way better, and they had more peppiness. So at the very least, it's a nice conditioning agent :)

Another natural approach would be to keep your birds moving, always on fresh grass. I think the risk of parasites goes way down when you do that. I have never had any in my flock that I can tell.

Mark

Another natural approach would be to keep your birds moving, always on fresh grass. I think the risk of parasites goes way down when you do that. I have never had any in my flock that I can tell.

Mark

This seems to be working for me, not only with the chickens, but with all my livestock.

Quote: So where does a guy like me who lives in Mobile Alabama area send his stole specimens for testing. I have never heard this before from cockers or breeders. They just give them some worming medications in the water or stick a pill down their throat or a shot of water with a one cc of dope in it and its a done deal. I look forward to your reply. Its for a new guy I never wormed my chickens in 25 years. bob

Last edited:

Mark
The birds that I am growing out this year have 20 acres to range on all day, they are only cooped overnight. My breeder birds also range but in large yards built just for them.

We have raised all kinds of livestock and I have never been a fan of penning any of them. We are lucky to have enough acreage to be able to do this.

Mark

Yes I noticed that too its my pent up ones that are the ones more likely to come up with a case of the worms. I think the rotational thing has lot to do with it even though they are still subject to getting the worms and critters I feel that Mother nature provides them with the instincts and the natural floras and faunas for them to consume that rids them of such. My dogs will 'bout jerk me down everytime I pass them close by a stalk of Golden rod to nibble at the leaves(Dog nip) maybe? eeh
hmm.png
more like self medicating I say.
wink.png

Jeff

Last edited:
So where does a guy like me who lives in Mobile Alabama area send his stole specimens for testing. I have never heard this before from cockers or breeders. They just give them some worming medications in the water or stick a pill down their throat or a shot of water with a one cc of dope in it and its a done deal. I look forward to your reply. Its for a new guy I never wormed my chickens in 25 years. bob

I take manure samples into the lab at the California Animal Health & Food Safety Lab, which is next to the University at Davis. It's just a few dollars for the test. I don't know if there is anything like that where this guy is, but the test can be done by anyone who knows how to use a microscope.

I know it's a bit of a hassle and it's easier to just routinely worm the flock. I was just suggesting it as an option for those who might be concerned about the overuse of wormers, since parasites eventually develop resistance to wormers if overused.

I don't take my chickens to a vet, but I do use this lab whenever I have a chicken get sick. They do free necropsies. That helps me monitor the health of my flock. I do test for internal parasites once a year. So far, I have not needed to use wormer with my chickens. Just another option for people if they want it.

I take manure samples into the lab at the California Animal Health & Food Safety Lab, which is next to the University at Davis. It's just a few dollars for the test. I don't know if there is anything like that where this guy is, but the test can be done by anyone who knows how to use a microscope.

I know it's a bit of a hassle and it's easier to just routinely worm the flock. I was just suggesting it as an option for those who might be concerned about the overuse of wormers, since parasites eventually develop resistance to wormers if overused.

I don't take my chickens to a vet, but I do use this lab whenever I have a chicken get sick. They do free necropsies. That helps me monitor the health of my flock. I do test for internal parasites once a year. So far, I have not needed to use wormer with my chickens. Just another option for people if they want it.
I do this too!

CAHFS will also euthanize for you for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom