Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really great Post Mr Blosl, It certainly makes it sound so simple.

When You "break up your breeding pens" do you let all your birds just out together in one pen? I know that it is suppose to be possible to mix strange females, but can the males be mixed together?

I got some prices on a building today, and WOW are things expensive around here! A 8x12 baby barn is almost 2000$!

From what you guys are describing that it no wheres near enough space. I was thinking I would build a shelf along one side that was 3 feet deep and divide it into 3 pens that are 4 feet by three feet for a trio in each pen. Then I could raise young birds on the floor through the summer. Would that be a problem? I guess I would need some room for spare males incase someone died?

NOW I am wondering do the breeders live in their raised pen all year? or do I need a pen to put them all down on the floor for the other 8 months?

Is a building that small at all practical?

bantams galore, quite a few of us got free pallets and made our coops out of the pallets. You can look at the pics of the coops here on BYC.
Here is a pic of mine we made it 12x16 and our runs are now being divided into breeding pens. We will use more pallets for small coops in them. I hope this helps. I am a newbie also.

Well, Here is Canada, we have this annoying little thing called "winter". In January when I start the breeding pens I will have to heat them a little so they will have to be quite tight, I think.

I am thinking that Leghorns are quite flighty, if my pens open to the outside, the birds might fly out, if I built the little buildings that Mr Blosl's website describes. I can see this little Village of breeding pens in a little group and I think it would be cute, but if the birds get out it might not be practical? I really don't know, but I don't know how to afford a building either.

I guess the truth be know I just need to build some 4x4 pens 3 feet high or so that the roof opens on for tending the birds through the roof... kind of like a hope chest.... but it doesn't solve the flying out problem.

Last edited:
Well, Here is Canada, we have this annoying little thing called "winter". In January when I start the breeding pens I will have to heat them a little so they will have to be quite tight, I think.

I am thinking that Leghorns are quite flighty, if my pens open to the outside, the birds might fly out, if I built the little buildings that Mr Blosl's website describes. I can see this little Village of breeding pens in a little group and I think it would be cute, but if the birds get out it might not be practical? I really don't know, but I don't know how to afford a building either.

I guess the truth be know I just need to build some 4x4 pens 3 feet high or so that the roof opens on for tending the birds through the roof... kind of like a hope chest.... but it doesn't solve the flying out problem.

I did not know you were in Canada. Sorry. :)

I guess the truth be know I just need to build some 4x4 pens 3 feet high or so that the roof opens on for tending the birds through the roof....... but it doesn't solve the flying out problem.

Definitely build your own, it's much cheaper. As far as winter, if kept dry and well ventilated chickens can handle extreme temperatures much better than most give them credit for. Dry and ventilation is the key to preventing frostbite. If breeding on a small scale, I'd build a bigger pen/barn/shed for the flock to use year round and then just temporary housing for breeders when hatching I've seen everything from custom built permanent pens, to a cylinder of wire fencing with a tarp over it, to large dog crates, etc etc. Doesn't have to be complicated or elaborate, no matter what anyone says, the simpler the better.

Edit: I really mean it about the dry and ventilation being most important, I know folks that keep chickens in areas that get 6' of snow, their coops are open air with one side just being wire. No issues, no frost bite.

Last edited:
I agree with matt. Some people use hoop
Houses for grow out pens . The person that lives the farthest north on here that i know of is aoxa in cape shediac nb!!! If you wanted to pm her im sure she would give you the canadian viewpoint!!!!

To get the birds old enough to show at the fall show, which is in Sept, I have to start hatching by Feb..... So I have to get my birds laying, AND keep the eggs from freezing while I am at work. Winter is quite strong here until the end of march, but our last frost date is usually the end of May early June. I might be able to us Chicken tractors as grow out pen though......... if I can keep the raccoons, bob cats coyotes and bears from tearing them apart. Welcome to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom