Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love them too and I am going to figure out a way to make it work. Due to a variety of issues (basically me being unprepared and experimenting with differenct methods) I observed that once they go broody, you can hold them for 2 weeks or longer before you set the eggs. They can't count! So, if I had to, after the hen(s) go broody, I could pull the breeders from the flock, set up the pens (chicken tractor), wait a week for the hen to clear from her past matings and then take the eggs for the broodies. How do you do it?

Mark

I hate to "hold a broody off" for too long as brooding takes a LOT outta them. By the time I have broodies, I've normally broken up my breeding pens, BUT, the broodcock will be in with the 3-4 hens/pullets I used. Although they won't be single mated for ID purposes, I do slip those under the broody. A lot of times (as years progress) you will be able to tell what female the offspring was out of simply by looking

Not saying my method is "right"....that's just how I do it. I guess I could separate the girls into individual pens for a day or two if need be and mark each....problem is, under a broody, you have no way to ID which chick hatched outta which egg anyway, unlike in an incubator (oh well)

I hate to "hold a broody off" for too long as brooding takes a LOT outta them. By the time I have broodies, I've normally broken up my breeding pens, BUT, the broodcock will be in with the 3-4 hens/pullets I used. Although they won't be single mated for ID purposes, I do slip those under the broody. A lot of times (as years progress) you will be able to tell what female the offspring was out of simply by looking

Not saying my method is "right"....that's just how I do it. I guess I could separate the girls into individual pens for a day or two if need be and mark each....problem is, under a broody, you have no way to ID which chick hatched outta which egg anyway, unlike in an incubator (oh well)

Thanks, yeah there is no way it could be single mated. You need too many eggs too quickly. Will I actually toe punch chicks in front of the mother hen? She is going to be furious, but I have already seen chicks switch mothers. Hopefully I can figure out a rudimentary system for my first year out. The good news is, that I may have some chickens worth keeping, quite by accident, really. I will know more in a couple months. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Thanks! It is very nice to read that.
hugs.gif

big_smile.png

Yeah, sorry. I should have started with this ... Here is a link to a thread about building it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700786/greenhouse-coop-conversion

Check the end of that thread for a photo of how we added a separate fourth section of coop at the "top" with a shed between the main house and the single section room.

There is also a portable (with the forks on the big tractor) "pallet" coop and run across the yard from the main coop. We are using that for the ducks, but it could be repurposed. It is about 6 x 8 if I remember correctly.

Very nice! I think you have plenty of space to do whatever you want there. I don't have any good 'un-purposed' stuff on my property, lol.

I too plan to breed next year with broodies. It creates some managment issues. When do you set up your breeding pens? When your hens go broody. When do hens go broody????? I would like to have a core group of broodies that would go off more or less as a group, within 4-6 weeks of each other and preferrably in the early spring. I doubt if that will happen, maybe a game breed would do that?

mark

When do hens go broody? Well, I've got a few that are broody constantly. Get so sick of throwing them in the broody breaker cage only to have them go broody a few weeks after they get out of the cage. Middle of freaking summer and molting and one stupid hen is STILL broody.

If anyone is in the area...I will be judging the Baker Creek Seed Heritage Expo here in Santa Rosa today. I will also be giving an APA judges test and conducting a seminar on Delaware chickens at 5:30. Say hello if you are on here.

w.

I am looking forward to attending the show, and will take some photos of the Heritage Poultry to share on this thread. This will be my very first Poultry Show which I am quite excited about, and hopefully, next year I will be showing my own birds there : )

Lual

Last edited:
I am looking forward to attending the show, and will take some photos of the Heritage Poultry to share on this thread. This will be my very first Poultry Show which I am quite excited about, and hopefully, next year I will showing my own birds there : )

Lual
Careful Lual ! You're going to get hooked ! Have fun !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom