Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to ask a question: of those of you who have experience breeding the silver duckwing pattern, does it mean anything when a pullet is slow to develop rust/salmon breast feathers? I am currently growing out my first batch of silver gray Dorkings, focusing on vigor/health/growthiness first. At 10 weeks, one of the (larger, of course!) pullets has not yet developed the brownish breast feathers that her hatchmates had developed by 6 weeks of age. My first thought is to cull her as I am not interested in breeding androgy-hens. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks,
Angela

Last edited:
I need to ask a question: of those of you who have experience breeding the silver duckwing pattern, does it mean anything when a pullet is slow to develop rust/salmon breast feathers? I am currently growing out my first batch of silver gray Dorkings, focusing on vigor/health/growthiness first. At 10 weeks, one of the (larger, of course!) pullets has not yet developed the brownish breast feathers that her hatchmates had developed by 6 weeks of age. My first thought is to cull her as I am not interested in breeding androgy-hens. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks,
Angela

Ask here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/118388/b-y-c-dorking-club/4290#post_11996730

Thanks,
Angela
Does she still have down at that age, or feathers of a color other than salmon?

Thank-you all for the advise on the show cages. May just end up buying the show cages and lining the wire with cardboard or the embroidery cloth, great ideas!

Thank-you all for the advise on the show cages. May just end up buying the show cages and lining the wire with cardboard or the embroidery cloth, great ideas!
I used to take clear plexi glass panels to shows to stop fighting. The lightweight stuff is relatively cheap. It is perfectly legal to take to shows too.

quote name="ronott1" url="/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/15090#post_11997615"]
Ask here:

I asked the followers of this thread because I think the question is about the color pattern, not the breed. I did not post on the byc Dorking thread because it has devolved, IMO, into a gang who vilifies anyone who discriminates in favor of well-bred fowl.

Last edited:
Wait till Walt gets back on he can help you this is a tough color pattern to understand and explain about . This is a subject that I have no clue on.

Back from a long vacation. Been working helping rookies with Mottle Javas and Rhode Island Reds.

Feel better Blood pressure getting back to normal. KISS bob

Last edited:
Let her grow out, but yes, if she does not have the salmon feathering, (is it all a washed out white-ish color), she's a cull. You can want to do vigor, etc... "first" but with a patterned bird, you have to at least maintain the building blocks of the pattern. If you breed in that silvery breast, you then have to breed it out. It's not that easy. I'm trying to remember your story. Is this your first year with them? Are they your only breed focus? How many are you dealing with?, etc...

Yes, of course it's one of your siziest pullets. However, 10 weeks is only 10 weeks. Nevertheless, culling is often not an easy moment. The more you do it, though, the better you get at it.

quote name="ronott1" url="/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/15090#post_11997615"]
Ask here:

I asked the followers of this thread because I think the question is about the color pattern, not the breed. I did not post on the byc Dorking thread because it has devolved, IMO, into a gang who vilifies anyone who discriminates in favor of well-bred fowl.
I am sorry you had trouble there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom