Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awesome! Ordered six show cages last week upon NYREDS recommendation, think I am going to need more.............
You can leave the birds you like (for reference/comparison) and excused the culls. That helps with cage space. I have to do that with bantams, as I only have 8 bantam holes.

Walt

Quote: I know people who raise rabbits and they make their own custom rabbit cages, I would imagine if someone was handy they could make the cages taller for chickens. You can buy the wire in different sizes, clips, and special pliers on line....... Would be a whole lot cheaper, if someone is on a budget! I doubt the old timers bought their cages already made.
smile.png

That is an awesome sight and an ideal set up. Much easier system than the way I've been doing it. What size are those coops?

I do need cages like that ... no prices on the Keipper website ... I'll probably need to sell a cow to be able to afford that many.

If you contact them they will e-mail you a price list. The shipping was expensive. I ordered 3 of the double cages (middle insert can be removed to make a larger cage), the bottoms and trestles (legs) which I probably did not need but the order came to a little over $200 and shipping was a little over $100. They also give a discount of 5% for 6 or more cages, 10% for 12 or more and higher discounts for larger numbers. They don't take visa, only check or $ order :(

I know people who raise rabbits and they make their own custom rabbit cages, I would imagine if someone was handy they could make the cages taller for chickens. You can buy the wire in different sizes, clips, and special pliers on line....... Would be a whole lot cheaper, if someone is on a budget! I doubt the old timers bought their cages already made.
smile.png
You could make something that might work for you, but these cages have very thick diameter wire that an average person could not bend without special tools. They are made to last forever or until a truck runs over them.

Walt

Quote: Great cages and comparing six at a time until you get the best could take some time. Put the keepers in a big dog cage and then do another elimination until you have your best birds.

Quote: I have made many cages to fit the bakery shelves I use in the brooder room. I've used 1" x 2" wire mesh for LF birds, 1/2" x 1" for young birds and grown Bantams and 1/4 x 1/4 for banty chicks. 1/2" x 1/2" works for Bantams also. I make a raised bottom so that an 18 x 24 bakery sheet will fit under the cages for easy cleaning. Bigger cages I make 24 x 38 so two sheets slide under the cage with a 1 x 2 board in the middle between the boards to support the bottom of the cage.

Quote: Great cages and comparing six at a time until you get the best could take some time. Put the keepers in a big dog cage and then do another elimination until you have your best birds.

Quote: I have made many cages to fit the bakery shelves I use in the brooder room. I've used 1" x 2" wire mesh for LF birds, 1/2" x 1" for young birds and grown Bantams and 1/4 x 1/4 for banty chicks. 1/2" x 1/2" works for Bantams also. I make a raised bottom so that an 18 x 24 bakery sheet will fit under the cages for easy cleaning. Bigger cages I make 24 x 38 so two sheets slide under the cage with a 1 x 2 board in the middle between the boards to support the bottom of the cage.
Nice! I may have to try and make a few, I know the wire is not as strong when you make them yourself, but if it keeps the brids in, may be of use!

Last edited:
You could make something that might work for you, but these cages have very thick diameter wire that an average person could not bend without special tools. They are made to last forever or until a truck runs over them.

Walt
Keipper coops also are collapsible ! That's what makes them so great. I can't imagine a pile of non-collapsible coops . Where would you store them all ?

If you contact them they will e-mail you a price list. The shipping was expensive. I ordered 3 of the double cages (middle insert can be removed to make a larger cage), the bottoms and trestles (legs) which I probably did not need but the order came to a little over $200 and shipping was a little over $100. They also give a discount of 5% for 6 or more cages, 10% for 12 or more and higher discounts for larger numbers. They don't take visa, only check or $ order :(

Zanna
Can you tell me the size of the wire spacing on those cages - if its 2" wide it looks longer than 4" - Like Walt said its stiffer than regular - very similair to folding dog cages and that is 1.75"x6" - that type of wire would be bought in sheets and not rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom