Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what his priorities are other than no cushions! LOL.

Here are two photos to compare, one of Bob's cockerels from last year, one of my cockerels from this year. I think his bird is older than mine are in these, but am not sure. I do think the tails on mine are a bit longer than his, but that may just be me...

GILBERT COCKEREL 2012 (I think)

HAGGARTY COCKERELS 9/2013
I don't think it's just you.

That is SO interesting. And counter-intuitive! It seems like more eggs more broodiness would make logical sense... but instead it's the opposite? Or is it the broodiness that decreases the total amount of egg laying over time, but while laying, lay on a similar schedule to the non-broody longer backed hen? Hmm.
It is probably because of the foundation breed that the cushion comes from. It is probably not a good layer, like Cochin. Breeding towards the look of one of the foundation breeds will bring out the characteristics of that breed.

That is SO interesting. And counter-intuitive! It seems like more eggs more broodiness would make logical sense... but instead it's the opposite? Or is it the broodiness that decreases the total amount of egg laying over time, but while laying, lay on a similar schedule to the non-broody longer backed hen? Hmm.
Hens are programmed by heredity to lay a certain number of eggs in a clutch. Leghorns have had broodiness practically bred out of them.. Orps and Rocks, who show short backs, and lots of cushion have usually had Cochin infused into the line somewhere . Cochins are not known for extended laying, but are very good broodies. The closer Rocks and Orps come to Cochin type, the less they lay.

A quality Cochin hen will lay 3 - 4 eggs a week and may go broody 2 - 3 times a year. Typically they do not lay when molting and will begin to lay within a few weeks when chicks are 8 weeks of age and still raise those chicks.
I have some lovely white hens from Bo Garret that have not gone broodie yet. And have Blue Cochin hens from Jim Heinz and CJarvis that have been the best of broodie hens.

Love to see those old photographs with cute children surrounded by beautiful birds!

Last edited:
A quality Cochin hen will lay 3 - 4 eggs a week and may go broody 2 - 3 times a year. Typically they do not lay when molting and will begin to lay within a few weeks when chicks are 8 weeks of age and still raise those chicks.
I have some lovely white hens from Bo Garret that have not gone broodie yet. And have Blue Cochin hens from Jim Heinz and CJarvis that have been the best of broodie hens.

Love to see those old photographs with cute children surrounded by beautiful birds!

Will your Cochins go broody as a group, say within a few weeks (4-6) of each other? I am planning my first attempt at breeding next year and want to use broodies, which I got some experience with this year, but the logistics of the whole process I am sorting through.

Will your Cochins go broody as a group, say within a few weeks (4-6) of each other? I am planning my first attempt at breeding next year and want to use broodies, which I got some experience with this year, but the logistics of the whole process I am sorting through.

I had an SG Dorking go Broody Three times this year. They are another good Broody Breed.

Quote:
120x120px-LS-7c4b13a6_FogelRIRs6.jpeg

Wonder if this kind of red or his sisters are full of cochin genes and go broody.??

Last edited:
Hum,
Thank you all for taking time to reply and discuss my questions.
Guess I need to take some time and do some more close up inspection of these birds.
Best,
Karen

Quote: I had two Cochin hens go broody in the same pen at the same time. I gave them 15 incubator chicks when I took their eggs one evening. They have successfully been raising them together. One was a seasoned hen and the other was a first time mom.
There was another Cochin hen that went broody two weeks later.
I have several Cochin x Wyandotte hens that I purposefully bred because both make great broody and mother hens. The Cochin can cover more eggs than the Wyandotte. The Wyandotte is a better forager. The crossbred hens can handle 14 - 18 eggs each and are superior mothers.
They go broody twice a season.
At one time there were 17 broody hens at the same time in my extensive flock. Currently there are 5...all Wyandotte.

Last edited:
Only because my DW wanted something other than "black and white chickens" I keep a small flock of blue laced red wyandottes (and they are quite pretty)

Anyway, they are the broodiest things I've ever had. Great mothers, only cover 8-10 eggs easily, and when the chicks are around 4-5 weeks old....they are DONE. I have one blue and one splash. The splash has brooded twice this year and the blue just started setting again last week.....for the third time. Oh well, it is fun to watch a mama teach the chicks and it sure makes things easier on me

However, they never seem to want to brood when I want to hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom