Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
OK centrarchid, I understand tracking matrilineages. How many generations per year? How many roosters involved? What happens to 3 original hens per generation? Do they get integrated into layer flock? What criteria do you use for choosing hens, roosters? SOP? What breed of chicken are you working with? More info brings more questions.
I figure that I still have 20 good years left but you better get busy. Year 21 looks iffy!!!!!

Quote:
I don't know "Connater" but I do know that those birds in the last picture are not his/her's.
Those are William Bennett (Pine Grove) birds and William in down in Lakeland G.A.
Here is the exact same picture second post.They were posted by Clint but William has posted that picture also.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=265846

Chris

I thought I saw that picture before.

wink.png

Chris

First, project may take 20 to 30 years but will likely take longer to type all answers to your question.

First 3 generations will be 1 year, thereafter males one year and females three years. Rooster number will be small, four per generation), with only absolute best one from each matrilineage used to sire offspring by his own matrilineage and the other 3 matrilineages. Hens will not be used for breeding until 3 years old and will be held as backup for next year as insurance against loss of a cohort (brood of chicks of same age by same sire). Roosters used as sires will also be held over for same reason. There after those birds will have tags removed and go out door with culls (eaten, sold). Roosters will be judged based on growth rate through 16 weeks and SOP when full adult feathering in place (~ 7 months post hatch). Hens will be judged on weight gain as well during same time frame and SOP, on egg production until beginning of year 3, and SOP for final cut. Hens will be compared only to hens of same matrilineage and roosters will be compared only to roosters of same cohort. Since a given rooster will be mated to all three selected hens of each of the four matrilineages, it is through roosters only that genes will be exchanged between matrilineages. This selection process would be divergent between sexes if not for SOP.

Breed = American Dominique. Foundation based on three Voter strain hens plus a rooster of Hyman, Stichler, Cackle Hatchery x Voter cross and Davis strains. This year I doing best to get first generation hens created that are pushing 1 year old for next year when mating system will be employed. Next year will be year 1. Breeding system is best decribed as full factorial (all possibilities made fro selected broodstock) and selection is based on family with breeder values assigned based measures of quality given above and who is related to whom and how your kin performed. Latter part requires a computer and score cards based on SOP. Still working on methods but of scoring birds. I expect to hatch 288 eggs per year and number will be wittled down to about 48 birds by winter per all cohorts of a production cycle combined. This means will have a minimum of about 150 birds at all times. Feed bill will be significant.

Quote:
The pictures he posted (of the young birds) didn't look great, but they are young and could grow a better pattern. Taylor, do you have any pictures of your older birds? They looked like production type birds from what I could see.

Good luck,

Taylor,

None of us has been trying to hurt your feelings or burst your bubble. However, most stories that are to good to be true are TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. It looks as if you've paid extra money for hatchery stock birds.

I show in the Carolinas and occasionally in Georgia.... 2 States very close to Tn.... I'm also originally from Tn. I've never heard of these people that 'show all over the country' and they've never been at a Show I attended.

I keep all the Exhibitor's List from the Shows I attend. I have them going back around 8-10 years. These folks have never entered at any of the Shows I've attended in the 3 States I named.

Now, you've been shown pictures of birds you posted that weren't what was claimed.

If you want good quality birds there are folks on this and other sites that can point you in the right direction. We'd be more than happy to help, but you've got to ask.

Quote:
I will second this and also say that I am in Ohio and I never herd of them and they wasn't at Ohio Nationals last year.
Also if you are interested you could get a hold of Anthony Ashly your District Officer for the Rhode Island Red Club, he is S. Carolina but would have a list of Red breeders in your District.
If you want his number or e-mail PM me and I can give it to you.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom