Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finished hatching for the Spring. Will resume in the fall. BUT, I have 60 "ish" Columbian Rock LF birds on the ground. I will be keeping 5 cockerels (+/-) and 5 pullets (+/-) so I will have some to share this Fall.

Please let me know if you are interested in a pair or a trio and I will see about getting them to you

Thanks

Scott

Back to checking the distance between the pubic bones . . . so I ran my hands over a couple hens and came to the conclusion that I don't know where the public bones are on a hen; show me a horse or a ewe and I get it , but not a chicken.

So today, I saw a hen go poo and eureka! if I know where the vent is, I should be able to find the public bones!!

I hope others find this as funny as I do--the trials and tribulations and teachings a newbie experiences!!!!!! LOL

Yard full o' rocks :

I have finished hatching for the Spring. Will resume in the fall. BUT, I have 60 "ish" Columbian Rock LF birds on the ground. I will be keeping 5 cockerels (+/-) and 5 pullets (+/-) so I will have some to share this Fall.

Please let me know if you are interested in a pair or a trio and I will see about getting them to you

Thanks

Scott

Are you breeding your Barred Rocks too. How are they looking? I heard you have some good stock birds.​

Quote:
Are you breeding your Barred Rocks too. How are they looking? I heard you have some good stock birds.

My Barred Rocks are about 2/3 grown. They are from 2 very good lines and I have 12 that I have kept so far. 2 cockerels are really standing out at this time and it appears there are 3 pullets with very nice type. I am hoping they will be laying by late summer/early fall so I can hatch a few before Christmas. Keep in touch and I'll let you know

Chris09--

Excellent reading!! Thank you. Was able to answer a few more questions.

Here's one that I haven't been able to answer. If the hen is supposed to be a medium sized egg layer, how wide should the pubic bones be? RIR gives xlg eggs, so her distance is wider?????

Hey all,

I'd like to know whether my plan is irresponsible or not. I'd like to start hatching chicks, some to keep, some to give to friends, some to eat and maybe some to sell. I'd like to try and stick to heritage breeds to help keep their #'s up. If I dont cull or try to keep to standard, and do not advertise that they meet the SOP for their breed, is it ok to turn them loose into the chicken world? Am I over thinking this?

Quote:
Yeah, why not? I don't think you should advertise them as heritage, though, since they aren't being bred to the standard. Many people are doing this.... As long as your happy with them.
Good luck,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom