Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
centrarchid, we free range as much as we can with all the chickens. the chickens that we raise to process, forage almost entirely for their food. i had dominiques for many years and the strain that i had were no good for eating. they were smallish and tough although they laid good and were great foragers. hope yours are better.

Quote:
actually, it has been to good to be true.
hmm.png
i have been lied to by the Connatser family, come to find out they have been lying to everyone who has been buying birds all these years. i am sorry for lying to you guys, i just told you all what they told me. if they are heritage birds then good, but probaby they are most like likely hatchery stock. that picture of the rhode island reds he told me they were his and he gave me that picture through email and said they were his and really they were somebody elses. I am so mad at them!!!! I paid good money for them and they are not true heritage breeds. I guess i'll stick with hatcheries then. until i find a true breeder. now those pics of the rhode island red and barred are actually mine from my flock, they look like a heritage bird, but are they really? thank-you all for being understanding!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Presently my flock gets only about 1/4 to 1/3 of its intake as feed. Forage dominates, but as flock size is increased, will require mowing or a grazer of some sort to keep pasture at correct height. Birds I have grow great on high end feed in confinement but have lots of room for improvement on pasture. Flock has lots of genetic variation to work with and selecting for better growth performance and carcass quality in free range setting where natural forages dominate.

Hi Taylor, you wrote:
actually, it has been to good to be true. i have been lied to by the Connatser family, come to find out they have been lying to everyone who has been buying birds all these years. i am sorry for lying to you guys, i just told you all what they told me. if they are heritage birds then good, but probaby they are most like likely hatchery stock. that picture of the rhode island reds he told me they were his and he gave me that picture through email and said they were his and really they were somebody elses. I am so mad at them!!!! I paid good money for them and they are not true heritage breeds. I guess i'll stick with hatcheries then. until i find a true breeder. now those pics of the rhode island red and barred are actually mine from my flock, they look like a heritage bird, but are they really? thank-you all for being understanding!

How very disappointing and your anger is justified. Make good use of the situation--another lesson learned, one that can be applied to the next time you select a source. From what I have read, true heritage RIR are rare and hard to find but with more digging and contacting people you will get your birds.
hugs.gif

Quote:
actually, it has been to good to be true.
hmm.png
i have been lied to by the Connatser family, come to find out they have been lying to everyone who has been buying birds all these years. i am sorry for lying to you guys, i just told you all what they told me. if they are heritage birds then good, but probaby they are most like likely hatchery stock. that picture of the rhode island reds he told me they were his and he gave me that picture through email and said they were his and really they were somebody elses. I am so mad at them!!!! I paid good money for them and they are not true heritage breeds. I guess i'll stick with hatcheries then. until i find a true breeder. now those pics of the rhode island red and barred are actually mine from my flock, they look like a heritage bird, but are they really? thank-you all for being understanding!
thumbsup.gif

Hey, don't say sorry for "lying to us." You didn't know better, you just thought they were telling the truth. An honest mistake. That really does stink & you have a right to be mad. The same thing happens with Amerucanas. Some people take images from other breeders that have the real thing, when they have Easter Eggers to make extra money of them. There are a couple people on here that have true R.I. Reds, and I'm sure they would be willing to set you up. Don't give up if you really want them!

M

To OwensMom
Hatchery birds kind of helped me narrow the field so far as what breeds of foul that I liked. But since I found this site and know the difference in Quality and authenticity I now want the real thing. Just difficluty to acquire. I don't live in a breeding hotbed to say the least. Iam determined to get obtain a few nice birds.

It is hard to find good stock; I'm trying to set up breeding pens;there is ONE breeder in my area. SO, I went to the BOston show hoping to find more breeders.I spend a lot of time on the breed thread, reading posts, getting a feel for who is breeding what; maybe there is a heritage RIR thread that will provide some info; and if not, perhaps start a heritage RIR thread. Or if there is just a RIR thread, the heritage breeders may be posting there. Good luck in your quest for the best.​

Quote:
It is hard to find good stock; I'm trying to set up breeding pens;there is ONE breeder in my area. SO, I went to the BOston show hoping to find more breeders.I spend a lot of time on the breed thread, reading posts, getting a feel for who is breeding what; maybe there is a heritage RIR thread that will provide some info; and if not, perhaps start a heritage RIR thread. Or if there is just a RIR thread, the heritage breeders may be posting there. Good luck in your quest for the best.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294&p=1 Heritage RI Red thread.

Owensmom: Hatchery birds do not always have the same temperament and production qualities as the Standard-Bred birds: many say the RI Red is an aggressive bird; I have not heard of an aggressive Standard-Bred RI Red so far. I hear the same for Leghorns and other breeds.

Quote:
Congrats, Jim! I hope you get some more!

Good luck to you, Jim. You will need it to bring back this very, very rare breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom