Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I prefer the one on the right (from the pic) . . he's a wider bird.
Both look nice.

Last edited:
Quote:
I prefer the one on the right (from the pic) . . he's a wider bird.
Both look nice.

Good call and the one on the left appears to have a leghorn type comb.

Walt

I just wanted to let everyone know I got my first egg from the Barred Rocks from Jeremy! They are 26 weeks and 4 days old....Just wondered if anyone else's have started laying.

Where is everybody? Too bad when Bob left so did the life of this thread.
Here probably the best bird I have here, a Barred Rock pullet.
Mitch
63711_nov_1st_035.jpg

I think most have been busy with shows, county fairs and then Crossroads. Now there was thousands of Heritage birds there! The sale area had to have at least a thousand sale birds.

We are gearing up for our winter hatching season. Terry Britt, an APA/ABA judge and Master Breeder suggested we hatch our large fowl Orpingtons in Dec-Feb to get the best size birds for fall shows. So we are following his advice.

I heard the same thing Jim in regards to Rocks....I have 2 dozen in the incubator now, lights on in the coop and almost ready to set breeding pens

I think the logic is that the birds will spend more time eating to stay warm than in Spring and Summer. Feed consumption is down in the Summer as the birds are trying to stay cool....just what I've heard. I'm still too new at this to say with any authority

I was told the same thing and to feed turkey starter for the first 6 weeks but I'm going to mix with start and grow for the amproliym. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom