Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always did like bantams and plus I am already set up for them. My exhibition/condition cages are 6 sq ft which most large fowl wouldn't like. In the next few months I may get a few started red chick from you. I am loving barred rocks as well. Barred rocks and rhode island reds will be my side project. I will hatch about 15 chicks from each pair. I can handle that amount easily along with my silkies.

Glad you would like to have Reds someday one thing that a lot of you on this board think yo u have to HAVE large fowl. This is not true. You can have Rhode Island Red bantams and enjoy all the good points of the breed in a small package. A lot of people do not have the space or the money to have lots of chickens. There are people who have a noise issue with the roosters crowing. You still can enjoy the females and they produce eggs and beatuy as well. There is a fellow in the North Easst named Brian Knox that has very nice Silver laced Wyandottes tottes and you can have three of them to one large fowl and raise 20 to 30 of them each year and enjoy their color and habits. Many of you have silkies and they are bantams why not consider the bantam.The main reason I gave up my Mohawk large fowl as I could not find homes down here for the birds that i did not want to keep for breeders.

Also, I could not afford the feed bill so I concentrated on my shrinking down of my Mow hawk Red Bantams. 25 years latter I have the large fowl in a bantam package. Something no one has ever done be for in Red Bantams and maybe I will have a Red Bantam that many will choose to breed years ahead. Our current Rhode Island Red bantams are in trouble because of a influx twenty years ago of a female that has a back like a Plymouth Rock. We call these Red Bantams Red Rocks they are not brick shaped and are short and look like Wyandottes when they are two and three years old. The people have just breed the backs off of them. This Red Rock gene is lethal as I think it would take ten years to breed out if you where lucky. Judges love them and push them all the way up to Champion Single Comb Clean Leg ed at the shows.

Well I made my point. I love Rouen Ducks but dont have the room for them so I got Grey Calls and enjoy them as much as the big Rouens. I can put two ducks in a small box and ship them any where in the USA for about $60. at least i can get rid of my surplus stock and I only keep three pairs each year as breeders to show you you dont need a army of birds to reproduce and improve your birds each year. bob

No, you don't need large numbers of birds once you've learned your breed & strain. I'm hatching from just 6 large fowl Reds this year & expect to produce a number of good birds from them. Three of the 6 were on Champion Row at different shows last year.

Black Spurs Sire 2008

Male given to Bill Fox Ohio 2010 son of Black Spurs.

See Folks New York Reds knows the secret and let me tell you he has some great large fowl Rhode Island Reds and if you live in the New England area it is the strain of choice to own they love cold weather. Next year I think I will have three females from two familys one female in a four by four foot pen rotatate one male to each pen for three days then rest him on the fourth day in a single empty pen. Give him lots of Cod Liver Oil on bird feed and then rotate him back for three more day. Small matings only the best try to get 15 chicks at least from each female. Thats the secret.

Walt as long as I have you thinking this way about Red Rocks I have hope some day all judges will punish those who show them and when you go the ABA conventions you might remind the judges of this horable looking chicken. If I could go to every show in the USA and could do just one thing it would place a RED BRICK on top of a Rode Island Red Bantatam cage for the judge to look at befor he starts juding and on the back of the brick I would have a note. Look for the brick shape judge.. Thanks for your comments and interest in old fashiion brick shaped red bantams.

Please spread this message for the sake of the breed. Bob

Last edited:
See Folks New York Reds knows the secret and let me tell you he has some great large fowl Rhode Island Reds and if you live in the New England area it is the strain of choice to own they love cold weather. Next year I think I will have three females from two familys one female in a four by four foot pen rotatate one male to each pen for three days then rest him on the fourth day in a single empty pen. Give him lots of Cod Liver Oil on bird feed and then rotate him back for three more day. Small matings only the best try to get 15 chicks at least from each female. Thats the secret.

Walt as long as I have you thinking this way about Red Rocks I have hope some day all judges will punish those who show them and when you go the ABA conventions you might remind the judges of this horable looking chicken .If I could go to every show in the USA and could do just one think it would place a RED BRICK on top of a Rode Island Red Bantatam cage for the judge to look at befor he starts juding and on the back of the brick I would have a note. Look for the brick shape judge.. Thanks for your comments and interest in old fashiion brick shaped red bantams.

Please spread this message for the sake of the breed. Bob

If it does not have the brick shape it ain't a Red.

Walt

When I was a little boy riding to the shows with Judge Vern Sorenson of Centralia Washington he use to tell me Robert you must see the Brick or its not a Rhode Island Red. If there is anything you must learn from our threads on Rhode Island Reds is you must have a flat top line and a flat under line to make a brick shape in the frame of a Red. Get you a brick and put it in your chicken house to remind you of this. When judges put up Red Bantams that are Red Rocks up on Champion Row make some noise and tell him what the heck is he doing. One day they will be extinct. bob

So, are "recreated" heritage breeds still heritage? :D (Don't you just love opening up this ol' can of worms again?!)

I ask because of the very impressive Delaware recreation, as well as the Basque hens I've been looking at the last couple of days. Both are recreations, but are REALLY good ones IMO...so they count, right?

i don't know anything about the Basque hens... But as for the Delaware recreation i would say yes they are still heritage... for 2 reasons 1st it was the same 2 breeds that where used to create the breed in the 1st place... 2nd both of the breeds used in the recreation are heritage as well...

if u had used different breeds to create it than IMHO it would not be... or if u had used a more modern breed instead of the older originals...

the Delaware is kind of a special case as we still have both parent breeds... some other breeds that is not possible...
So, are "recreated" heritage breeds still heritage? :D (Don't you just love opening up this ol' can of worms again?!)

I ask because of the very impressive Delaware recreation, as well as the Basque hens I've been looking at the last couple of days. Both are recreations, but are REALLY good ones IMO...so they count, right?

Actually, the Basque hens are kind of a different story all together. They were developed by gathering up valuable vanishing landrace birds throughout the Basque region and standardized and selected into a very impressive dual purpose bird. Would such a new fine-tuning of existing flocks still be considered retaining the "heritage" characteristics...or is this the development of an all-together new breed?

Who knows. At least it looks like they did a really good job of it, either way.

The Del recreation is heritage or it would be called heritage by the ALBC, but the Basque have never been recognized by the APA to begin with...so no to them.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom