Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! I'd just be happy to have the light bulb remain a great light bulb! THEN we can talk about improving it.

Clucky and FeyRaine, I'm glad you joined the thread, because you're asking all the great questions that I know I would have but just haven't been able to put into English sentences!
I'm just here taking notes and loving this discussion

Emily

LOL! I'd just be happy to have the light bulb remain a great light bulb! THEN we can talk about improving it.

True, that...but I don't want to improve the ones from quality breeders. I just want to improve the ones that have been diluted via bad breeding, random breeding and such. Isn't it possible to take hatchery stock and turn it into exceptional? I've heard it's possible but very time consuming...and can take years to breed out the bad...but that is hear say and I'm not sure if it was factual. In which case, it would still be improving a diluted strain of that breed wouldn't it?

[Edited to add] - I'm really not being snarkastic (sarcastic and snarky) I'm asking the question in sincerity. Can you buy a heritage breed from a well-known hatchery (that stocks hatchery stock birds) and breed only those birds, so selectively, that eventually you bring back an exceptional example of that breed? :hmm Like I said, that's what I heard but it sounds far-fetched. If that's possible to do, in my opinion that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Clucky,

A piece of advise from one only in the real "breeding side" of the hobby for 4 yrs now....so take that for what its worth

1. Look at the space you have available (coops, covered runs, brooders, grow out pens, etc) and how much space/facilities you are willing to commit to. I am focused (finally) on a single variety of plymouth rocks, Columbians. I have 3 large coops (6x8x8) each attached to an outdoor run approx 20x20 each. I have 2 smaller coops (4x4s) with 10x10 runs I use as grow out pens. Then I have 2 large brooders capable of holding about 2 dozen chicks each, up to about 6 weeks old. I hatch about 100 (+/-) chicks annually and keep roughly 1 in 10. It takes all of the aforementioned space to raise all the young ones to an age where you can comfortably cull without fear of tossing out a good one. For me that's about 8-10 months. After all the culling has taken place, these coops become breeding pens for the next season. I currently have breeding trios in each of the 3 large ones.

2. The experts tell you to tackle the simpler breeds first for one reason.....you are less likely to get frustrated and toss in the towel. Color patterned birds (as I am finding out first hand) are certainly more challenging than a solid colored bird. However, especially these guys here, the experts are always willing to give you advise if you ask, BUT, be willing to be thick skinned and accept constructive criticism. They won't purposely hurt your feelings, but instead speak from YEARS of experience and in most cases have gone through already whatever you might be dealing with.

3. As a personal opinion, I'd say pick 1 variety of 1 breed that you really like (simple or not) and put all of your energy and effort there. That's what I've done and it was only through Bob B here that I obtained my first trio a few falls back. The Columbian pattern is certainly not a simple variety, but one I really was drawn to and I've made a little progress with them....still a LONG way to go. You won't be able to "save all the breeds that need saving" but you WILL be able to make significant progress with the one you chose to work with. Remember, this is a hobby. It should be fun, it shouldn't be a "job".

Just my 2 cents worth for today

....now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Very very very good advice Scott.
By the way you are doing a great job with the Columbian rocks.
If you want Mark Peterson or Joe Burns number to talk to them about breeding Light Brahmas just email me. I know they both do double matings. They run separate male and female matings. I think they have about three lines going to make those super birds happen.
It can be a long road but dang it is what makes time fly, before ya know it it has been a lifelong project.
Good luck with the birds
Charlie

Ok, it turns out that I do have a question to ask. I went and read most of that book (forgot who posted it) by W. H. Card about the breeding Laws (this one: http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003158312#page/n1/mode/2up), and found an odd thing I've come across a few times.
Two of the breeds on my "potential breed" list are solid black birds: Spanish and Sumatras. So I read the section about breeding black birds and he kept saying that purple iridescence on a black bird, as opposed to green, is bad bad bad.
Why is that?
Is it an outward sign of an internal problem, or is it something that was decided on by some committee way back when? If it denotes an underlying issue, then I can totally understand why breeders would select away from it. If not, then
idunno.gif

Ok, it turns out that I do have a question to ask. I went and read most of that book (forgot who posted it) by W. H. Card about the breeding Laws (this one: http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003158312#page/n1/mode/2up), and found an odd thing I've come across a few times.
Two of the breeds on my "potential breed" list are solid black birds: Spanish and Sumatras. So I read the section about breeding black birds and he kept saying that purple iridescence on a black bird, as opposed to green, is bad bad bad.
Why is that?
Is it an outward sign of an internal problem, or is it something that was decided on by some committee way back when? If it denotes an underlying issue, then I can totally understand why breeders would select away from it. If not, then
idunno.gif

great question... x2 (I've wondered that myself)

I asked that same question one time a long time ago and the answer I got was this...

A purple sheen on a black bird is not bad if he is green when the light hits from the other direction., it is a purple barred sheen that will get your bird disqualified. Apparently is has something to do with feeding corn to a black bird.

Don't hang me... this is what I was told so am just passing it on.

Hmm, yes in the book he did specify that it was purple barring that was to be avoided...
Let's see if any of the old guys have answers
big_smile.png

... Can you buy a heritage breed from a well-known hatchery (that stocks hatchery stock birds) and breed only those birds, so selectively, that eventually you bring back an exceptional example of that breed? :hmm Like I said, that's what I heard but it sounds far-fetched. If that's possible to do, in my opinion that would be awesome.

Sure! And I might win the lottery one day too. But -- I'd much rather spend my time and money on rather more of a sure bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom