Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually been somewhat considering a certain breed from Stromberg's...funny that you mentioned it because I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about them on the forum. Most hatcheries spoken of are mcmurray and ideal. Do you know if Stromberg's chicks are still good quality today?

I agree that you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear...our dogs eat pigs ears and I have a hard time picturing those as silk purses.

I wonder why the hatcheries used to sell champions (since your bantam hen won champion) and you don't hear of that happening anymore. What changed?
What are you considering at Strombergs.
The show quality sections of birds both large fowl and bantams are from Duane Urch. So are the adult pairs for sale. These are standard bred birds, this does not mean instant show winners. I think all of the other chickens are hatchery birds.
Charlie

My copy of "Call Of The Hen" just arrived :)

Charlie Voda, you said you were going to see Duane Urch last weekend, so I hope you won't mind me asking, is he well and happy? What are his favorites among his current flocks?

It is the collective wisdom I appreciate on this thread, so will thank Bob for starting it and all for nurturing it, for the sake of those of us who so want to learn from you.

Uh oh...I just came across a picture of a Redcap hen...now that's an interestingly colored bird for a hen! Uh oh because I already decided which breeds were my top 2 picks and then I found this one. It says they are classified as a light fowl so I guess that would mean they're not a large fowl heritage breed? I think I like these, too.
th.gif
Hi Clucky, light fowl just means they are less stocky in structurethan the heavy fowl.
Best,
Karen

===========================
I've actually been somewhat considering a certain breed from Stromberg's...funny that you mentioned it because I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about them on the forum.

Ok, fess up, what has caught your eye?
VBG,
Karen

True, that...but I don't want to improve the ones from quality breeders. I just want to improve the ones that have been diluted via bad breeding, random breeding and such. Isn't it possible to take hatchery stock and turn it into exceptional? I've heard it's possible but very time consuming...and can take years to breed out the bad...but that is hear say and I'm not sure if it was factual. In which case, it would still be improving a diluted strain of that breed wouldn't it?

[Edited to add] - I'm really not being snarkastic (sarcastic and snarky) I'm asking the question in sincerity. Can you buy a heritage breed from a well-known hatchery (that stocks hatchery stock birds) and breed only those birds, so selectively, that eventually you bring back an exceptional example of that breed? :hmm Like I said, that's what I heard but it sounds far-fetched. If that's possible to do, in my opinion that would be awesome.
How long do you plan to live? You need to go to some shows, and see the SOP birds. I mean SHOWS, not fairs which almost always are filled with hatchery birds. Then go look at some hatchery birds. Different as night and day. I get all the catalogs just for entertainment. Look at the Meyer Hatchery catalog online. They have photos of their actual breeding stock. Then go to the various threads here for photos. What the catalogs won't show you is that the hatchery birds in LF are much smaller, and the Bantams are bigger than what is shown or bred under the SOP.

Thank you everyone for all your input. You are all a wealth of knowledge.
I have been raising chickens only about 3 years. I found for me the first year I was interested in keeping numerous breeds.
Basically to see what I liked. The kind of chicken. Egg capabilities . Where I am we need to have a very alert chicken. one that can free range. Eat off the land. From there I decided the breeds I wanted to work on based on rarity .

It was extremely tough to get started but have found once people see your true intensions you are much more likely to get advice .
I think all breeders want to see there breeds thrive and sucseed

Also the majority of the Fancy Ducklings and Rare Geese are from Ewert Country Waterfowl.
What are you considering at Strombergs.
The show quality sections of birds both large fowl and bantams are from Duane Urch. So are the adult pairs for sale. These are standard bred birds, this does not mean instant show winners. I think all of the other chickens are hatchery birds.
Charlie

Quote: Here are some of each next to each other. It is easy to pick out the hatchery birds from those from a breeder that shows his stock.

Hatchery pullet on far right...

Cockerel and two pullets from the breeder......4 pullets from the hatchery.... the difference is unmistakable.

That female next to the skinny one is a nice one. Looks like Matt 1616 Wyandottes he has hope you can get them to reproduce.

In regards to the black issue I cant remember only my memory says try to stick with the beetle black green glow or skein. Someone can come on and help on that issue but move forward and get the birds you want and worry about these things latter. Dont let these items get to you and make mental road stops.

I am going to ask does anyone have the whole book Start Where you are with What you have? It was written by Ralph Sturgeon and printed I think by Walt for him. Even if we have nothing but a photo copy to share with the new people it would be a great read. I learned allot from this book and my interview with him even though it was a short one he set me straight in many was as a beginner.

He stated in his book Start Where you are with what you have. You come to a intersection and ask a guy how do I get to Town. The man says you start here and then........................ you go there.

With Chickens get the best you can find or afford some of the rare breeds are going to be rough and not to pretty but the genes are there to be found. You got to go looking for them and use a term Sturgeon used in his book. You need to put breeding pressure on certain traits. In time you will get what you want or where you want to get to.

The problem with hatchery chickens today to start with is they are so washed out from what they once where. It would take twenty years to breed them up so you got to try to go to some good shows and find those breeds and get you two pairs and roll up your selves and just do it. Take pictures of your grown up birds and post them here and our judges can help you pick out worthy birds for the next year breeding. Then in about three years it all starts to sink in. You will feel more comfortable and your gut and eye will start working and by five years we will be saying Holy Cow look at your progress.

Keep reading and asking questions.

True, that...but I don't want to improve the ones from quality breeders. I just want to improve the ones that have been diluted via bad breeding, random breeding and such. Isn't it possible to take hatchery stock and turn it into exceptional? I've heard it's possible but very time consuming...and can take years to breed out the bad...but that is hear say and I'm not sure if it was factual. In which case, it would still be improving a diluted strain of that breed wouldn't it?

[Edited to add] - I'm really not being snarkastic (sarcastic and snarky) I'm asking the question in sincerity. Can you buy a heritage breed from a well-known hatchery (that stocks hatchery stock birds) and breed only those birds, so selectively, that eventually you bring back an exceptional example of that breed? :hmm Like I said, that's what I heard but it sounds far-fetched. If that's possible to do, in my opinion that would be awesome.

Edited by CluckyCharms - Today at 8:22 pm
================================
Hi Clucky,
Most probably, every breed that you find at a hatchery also has serious breeders from
which you can choose quality stock. There will always be a place for the hatchery birds
with those who just want eggs, meat and pretty colors in the back yard.
Why not take the quality birds bred by serious breeders and make them even better?

Ok, so you want multi-color birds but everyone says you'd do best starting with solid color birds.
Ok, I *think* the reason they are saying that is so you can concentrate on type instead of having to
deal with both type and color. So what about a breed that has Black-Breasted Red male with the
salmon breasted hen? Also known as wildtype. That doesn't need double mating for color.
BBR is a completely recessive color palette which , when pure-breeding, will just self-replicate.
that would give you a pretty bird with multiple colors,but not the color balancing problems.
Both the male and the female have lovely colors. Plus, the chicks are the cutest coloring, just like chipmunks.
Hum,
Karen

Last edited:
I am going to ask does anyone have the whole book Start Where you are with What you have? It was written by Ralph Sturgeon and printed I think by Walt for him. Even if we have nothing but a photo copy to share with the new people it would be a great read. I learned allot from this book and my interview with him even though it was a short one he set me straight in many was as a beginner.

I do, I do!!!
ya.gif

(Clearly, I need to pull that one out and re-read it ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom