Bobcat!

I noticed other chickens within earshot have gone quiet around here...used to hear roosters in the morning and lately it's been quiet. I am guessing it is making its rounds. I have all birds locked up, even during the day, and at night I have the backyard under surveillance with security camera, motion sensor, and a baby monitor for sound.

I noticed other chickens within earshot have gone quiet around here...used to hear roosters in the morning and lately it's been quiet. I am guessing it is making its rounds. I have all birds locked up, even during the day, and at night I have the backyard under surveillance with security camera, motion sensor, and a baby monitor for sound.
Ya know, now that you said that, I remember an eerie quiet when our coyote packs are lurking and killing. I sure hope you get relief by way of a confirmed kill.

Bobcats generally develop a hunting pattern and hunt in a new area every night instead of concentrated hunting in one area... It can take them 1-3 weeks to complete their pattern and return to a place they previously killed or hunted, so be diligent...
Agreed. It's not a matter of if, but when, he'll come back to this part of his territory. I have my backyard under surveillance. It left hungry last time, so maybe that's a good thing. I might never have the chance to shoot it.

Yes it has, in fact it was back yesterday, this time during the DAY! I heard a huge commotion and by the time I got out there all I found was an injured peahen, and it was out of sight. So for now on, my birds will stay locked up permanently until I can get rid of this problem animal. Injured peahen, but VERY lucky to be alive.

I am in SW Florida in a rural area. Bobcats are not rare here. A couple of years ago one got into the pen by finding a weak spot in the pen cover; just big enough to squeeze through. Unfortunately for my chickens she brought her litter to teach them to hunt. My pens are a couple hundred feet from the house so a lot can go on without us knowing. To make a long story short, those cats killed 12 chickens. one was taken, the rest left, not eaten. I could see the large foot prints and a very large number of small ones. We used to see this cat in the daytime. My coop and pens are virtually Fort Knox now. I do not let my chickens out to free range because another cat now lives near and has picked off chickens even when I was outside working. They are very bold.
somad.gif

Any luck catching it? Having the same problem here southwest FL. If you live trap it, please give tips so that I hopefully will have some success. Of course it had to walk off with one of my favorite sweet hens.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom