Bobcat

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
While in the coop filling food dishes I looked out the window and saw a bobcat lying on the ground about 3 ft from my chicken run just watching my chickens.. they had been making a rucous off and on this morning and I now know why.. I am scared he will find a way to kill my chicks and chickens.. I have a barrier underground around the run but should I still be concerned?

Make your presence known and be out there often. If you have a dog keep him outside for a while to let the bobcat know so it doesn't get comfortable lingering on your property.

some of the other 80s peeps might get this...
1684336290263.png

Make your presence known and be out there often. If you have a dog keep him outside for a while to let the bobcat know so it doesn't get comfortable lingering on your property.
I am outside often everyday and sporadically however, I have to work today til 730 pm and the chooks seem uncomfortable watching the woods and making warning noises. I wonder if he is there and I just can't see him so I put them all in for the day.. I'm home tomorrow and will try again..thanks for a quick reply

So I haven't seen the bobcat in a few days.. we got some barbed wire to put around the top of the run and bury some around the outside edge.. just in case.. I did hear a gunshot down the road a few days ago.. maybe it's been taken care of. There are a lot of other chickens in this area and tons of kids and housepets as well.. kinda scary.. still keeping a vigilant eye out tho

Months ago I had a bobcat sit at the gate of my run and watch the chickens, they were as far away as possible from the bobcat. My youngest son took a picture with his tablet, didn't come out good but you could tell the chickens were huddled in the corner and the bobcat was at the gate just watching them. I have a buried fence and another fence that extends 1.5 ft. out along the ground. I have had no bobcats get my chickens yet or any thing dig under the fence. A bear did tear it apart but thats another story. If your fence is solid and buried a good depth you should hopefully be okay. Keep checking for signs of them trying to dig though and good luck.

I forgot to ask do you have a roof on the run? I have seen animals climb fences that you wouldn't think possible. We have most predators by me, bald eagles, coyotes, foxes, fishers, mink, weasels, bobcats, hawks, and black bears. I made my run and coop as predator proof as possible so that even a rat couldn't get in, and the black bear just laughed at me. I have a fully covered run, not sure what you have. Post a picture.

Predators associate the smell of ammonia with urine and danger from other predators so I use it to keep predators away . By soaking old rags in ammonia and hanging them on fence posts I never have to worry about them. They stay clear of my yard! Be for warned ammonia is toxic and must be used with caution to prevent injury.Use in well ventilated and open areas only.Never inside their coop or runs!

Back
Top Bottom