Bobwhite/Coturnix Hybrid Quail

I am of the opinion that these birds do not exist.

Prove me wrong, someone please!

I have never heard of crossing a chicken and coturnix, that sounds just as unlikely. BUT... you can cross a chicken with a guinea, a guinea with a peacock so it's hard to draw the line at what's impossible and what's not. I had a button rooster than mounted his coturnix hen all the time and I tried hatching some eggs from that but it didnt work, I also tried AI from coturnix roos to buttons and that didn't work either..

Im almost a 100% sure its a myth. If you look into the details of genetics you will find that chickens, and guinea fowl have very very similaire genes. But when you look at Bobwhite and Coturnix, its surprisingly different. Some species it can happen with. Guinea fowls are very interesting birds genetic wise (I guess look wise too) and they can breed with quite a few different speices of birds. But Bobwhites and Coturnix cant really do to much. They are very similaire but geneticly different. I dont think you can breed the hybrids though, and the majority of the time they are sterile.

But you never know...

Last edited:
From what I've been told, for anything to crossbreed they have to have a certain number (can't remember the number) of like chromosomes. If they are not closely enough related to have that, then it is impossible. And yes, most hybrids are then sterile. Would have to see these birds in order to believe it myself.

I have bobwhites in with my coturnix and havebeenhatching out their eggs. The chicks look coturnix (some tuxedo, Italian etc) but their beaks and head look more bobwhite on some. I've never seen them breed so not sure if the chicks are hybrids. Guess I'll find out as they grow.

Pics or it didn't happen
roll.png

Funny how many people claim all sorts of things but never provide any proof to back up their claims. I've bred 4 Guinea Chicken hybrids and posted loads of pics from hatching to fully grown birds.

I hope you still have the parents to that bird.... Cuz its so ugly only a mother could love it!!
lau.gif
Thanks for the pix. Was the chicken a millie de' fleur or swedish flower?

Back
Top Bottom