Boiled eggs sticking to the shell??

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Ok silly question...when I boil my eggs from my hens and peel them the shell sticks to the eggs so bad is this normal or is there some tip anyone has to remedy this? Please advise. Thanks~

You can probably search and find a bunch of previous threads on some possible remediies, but the bottom line is your eggs are TOO FRESH. I usually keep eggs back a week or more that I want to hardboil.

Last edited:
They will do that when then the egg is really fresh. You can either put eggs you want to boil on the side and let them age for a couple of weeks or what I do is add a bunch of salt (like 1/2 cup or ao) and a couple of table spoons of oil (olive or veggie). It works like a charm for me!!!

This also happens quite often with store bought eggs when you boil them. And I know cause I eat 6-9 boiled egg whites a day
wink.png
and I have no chickens.... yet
wink.png

My trick is to drop the eggs in a bowl of ice water right after they come off the stove. Let me sit in the ice water until totally cool. Then, I just pat 'em dry and put 'em in the fridge. Now, this obviously won't work for you if you enjoy your boiled eggs warm
wink.png

I agree with the others, when eggs are very fresh they tend to stick to the shell. I always add a little AVC to the water, it seems to help with that.

I usually always boil my older eggs...and use my fresher eggs for baking.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom