Boiled eggs

A pressure cooker--instant pot is a pressure cooker-- is a great way to hard boil eggs.

Set a rack into the cooker
add 1.5 to 2 cups of water
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes
Turn off cooker and wait 5 minutes
Release pressure
Take out eggs and put them into ice water until completely cooled

The eggs will peal nicely!

Add a minute to the cook time for bigger eggs

I agree with the pressure cooker and the steamer. I no longer have a pressure cooker, but I did them for 15 total counting getting up to pressure, 5 at pressure and 5 to release pressure. Now I use the rice steamer for 25 minutes with 2 cups of water. I put a dozen eggs in the basket. Both ways are great for our farm fresh eggs! They are easy to peal that way.

Before I got my Dixie Rainbow birds, I was buying eggs to feed my Serama.
That sounds so crazy.
I give them crumbled hard boiled eggs every day.
The method I use is to just barely cover them with water.
Cover pot and as soon as it begins to lightly boil. Turn off the heat and leave them there for a few hours.

To serve, I slice the eggs in half lengthwise and scoop it out of the shell with a teaspoon.
Much easier than peeling.
I then put 3 eggs through the food processor and sprinkle it on top of their individual food dishes.
You want them to eat the eggs first and they will, because eggs can draw ants if left in the dish.

I also steam....but think this is really key:
Even then really fresh eggs don't always peel easily, especially those with thick shells and membranes. Cracking the air cell end before putting in ice water will help too.

Back
Top Bottom