Bonded/imprinted ducklings

Bunklet

Hatching
Jan 27, 2018
Help needed.
This is my ducklings fourth week of life.
Four weeks ago I bought two ducklings (Indian runner X) and raised them in a small crate. In the beginning they slept in their crate in my bed, and learnt to explore the house. They are very happy, and we havent been separated much but separation makes me anxious as they squark as if I've abandoned them until I return.
In the beginning this was okay because they were small enough for me to take with with me. Now they are getting bigger and it's time they move out of their crate. (Their heads poke out the top!)
I have a small/covered wired pen for them as they get bigger (and eventually as adults they will be free range while I am home, and in a run for safety when I am away).
Now here's the question. My two babies are happy to be in the yard with me, given I am there. They follow me happily and play with the sprinkler. However, when I put them in the pen and walk away they do not stop calling for me. They won't eat in their pen unless I am there.
I start college tomorrow, 2.5 days a week and I really need them to get a hang of this! They can't live in their crate forever, and they can't wonder free without me (other pet's, strays cats, ect).
How on earth can I make this work?
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Snapchat-2117702111.jpg
    Snapchat-2117702111.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 16
Clarification: I have every intention for them to be free ranging through yard and house with me at home. I only want them in their new pen at night and while I am not home a couple days a week)

Ducklings usually become independent of their mother by 8 weeks, so you only have 4 more weeks to go. You just need to find a larger safe cage for them when you are away until they are independent. Yes, they are going to call for you when you leave, but once they settle down they will likely eat without you present.

At 4 weeks, they probably do not need extra heat if they are kept inside a heated building. I would not leave them outside in a pen at this age unless you live in a very warm climate.

4 more weeks doesn't sound too bad, but I'm thinking I'll need a bigger box for them to sleep in at night inside. I live in Australia and it's summer at the moment, but I couldn't magine leaving them outside at the moment. They have only just moved out of my bed!

Maybe you can find a larger plastic tote for them or a large box you can set up furniture appliance type boxes so they have plenty of room.

They are really bonded to you I had a drake I had to raise inside because his mom refused to and he was like that with me. Oh gosh tough love is hard but at 10 weeks he had to start living outside with the rest thankfully we had made stalls inside our one duck house so I could put him in there and not worry about the other picking on him until they all accepted each other. [This was for over night] This was in summer too and by 10 weeks he was ready as far as feathering but it was not fun for me to hear him in there trying to get out. The stalls had wire covering over top too so he couldn't climb out [Muscovy] Wasn't but about 3-4 days before he settled down and became part of the flock. Yours have no one to bond to outside and it's a big scary world but they will eventually get use to it. If you can get some dried meal worms you could start introducing them to your babies and then when you take them to your pen you can give them some as a reward.
Just make sure your pen is very secure because there are predators that will take advantage of a non secure pen. Love your avatar:welcome

My family say I spoilt them, but they are my babies I adore them.
This afternoon I sat with them while they were in their pen. I walked around, going in and out of the house. The time for them to start barking for me got longer. Now they are all tucked up inside asleep for the night.
It's just the worst hearing them cry for you! I am such a softie. I'm more hopeful that they'll become more comfortable without me always with them. They have a lot of growing up still !

The recommended brooder temperature for 4 week old ducklings is 75F or 24C, so they should be fine outdoors in an Australian summer, at least during the day. Fortunately there are two of them, so they will begin to transfer the imprinting to each other as they get older. It would be much more difficult if you are raising a single bird with no conspecifics as Lydia had to do.

"Spoiled" is in the eye of the beholder, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom