Bonsai- What kind of plant do I have?

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hello There

A few days ago, a long time family friend came to visit, and she brought me a bonsai. She said its about 5 years old, but she didnt know the breed of plant/shrub.

Can anyone help Identify it for me?

Here is a leaf. It has some fine hairs and is serated. However, its not really a fuzzy leaf

photo6.jpg

Here is the whole tree

photo4.jpg

And here is the trunk, just incase(in the bonsai world, we use the trunk to identify plants occasionally)

photo5.jpg

Hopefully a plant person swings on by.
smile.png

Thanks
smile.png
Have an amazing day!
smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know. I was wondering if it was one of the tropical bonsai, rather than one of the traditional trees. The traditional trees don't do all that well indoors and need time outside. The newer types of bonsai formed from tropical plants do very well indoors year round.

I had maples and pines.

It looks like an azalea to me but i'm not into that kind of bonsai,i like the pines.

Here are a few pictures of my best trees.

This is a Japanese black pine,it's 60 years old.It was started by my grandfather from seed after he returned from WWII,he was trained by a Japanese bonsai master.It stands 28" tall and has a trunk almost 2" thick.
JBP001.jpg

This one is a Japanese white pine,it's 80 years old,but only stands 15" from the base of the pot.It's trunk is a little over 3".
JWP001-1.jpg

Here is a Japanese juniper i picked up at lowes today.It will take some training but someday it will be a bonsai tree.
191.jpg

Back
Top Bottom