Both hens died less than a year

budgy

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
I bought two hens at a farm store. I bought them as a pet and not for consumption. Their coop, food, and roaming area is within requirements stated by farmers. After 4-5 months, they became extremely fat and lethargic. Instead of leaving the food out, I decided to put them on a controlled diet. They continued to get fatter and instead of walking outside, they began to stay in the coop and sit most of the time.

At month 6, they got extremely obese and only walked to drink water and eat. The dominant hen killed her sister after month 7. This is the first time I've seen them aggressive to one another. They were so friendly to each other. Month 8, the dominant one died. I don't know the type of bird but they are the typical white ones you see everywhere.

I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong and why they got so obese and unhealthy even if I tried to give them a comfortable life. At one time, they were giving me eggs everyday...after the obesity they rarely gave me eggs. Thank you in advance

What type of feed were they getting? Some hens are prone to getting fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, being overweight, have decreased laying, and can die early. There are also numerous reproductive disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites (fluid in the belly.) Without a necropsy by the state vet or poultry lab, it would be difficult to know why. You can also open the belly to look at the liver and internal organs for evidence of infection, bleeding, discolored liver, or fluid. Sorry for your loss.

What type of feed were they getting? Some hens are prone to getting fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, being overweight, have decreased laying, and can die early. There are also numerous reproductive disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites (fluid in the belly.) Without a necropsy by the state vet or poultry lab, it would be difficult to know why. You can also open the belly to look at the liver and internal organs for evidence of infection, bleeding, discolored liver, or fluid. Sorry for your loss.
Well, Guess what? I called the farm store and told them about my issue. They told me the chickens are meant to be culled at 8-12 weeks and the chickens are suppose to get extremely big so there is more meat at a shorter time. Their lifespans are usually less than a year because their hearts and liver fails.

I learned my lesson. I should have researched before purchasing.

Well, Guess what? I called the farm store and told them about my issue. They told me the chickens are meant to be culled at 8-12 weeks and the chickens are suppose to get extremely big so there is more meat at a shorter time. Their lifespans are usually less than a year because their hearts and liver fails.  

I learned my lesson. I should have researched before purchasing. 

Oh, you got meat birds--that is sad. I have watched people looking at chicks at the feed store, and many do not know about the difference between cornish cross meat birds and egg layers. Sometimes chicks get mixed up and many people don't realize they have bought the meat birds. Well, sorry for your loss, and good that you figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom