Both hens?

idispatch4911

Chirping
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Southern Utah
Are these both hens? Only one is laying. My hubby says its "Two" that's laying, but I'm not so sure. They were from the same breeder and the same hatch, so I'm told (same exact size when we got them). "One" has the darker red comb but "Two" has the pointy looking neck feathers and a lighter comb. We originally had 4 chicks. The 2 others turned out to be actual crowing roos so they are in freezer camp. Would one of these be a roo and not actually crow???!!?!?! Getting one egg a day that looks exactly the same from the day before. HELP!!

If one of these IS a roo that doesn't crow - I'm KEEPING HIM!!!

Chicken #1
Number "One" has a dark red comb. Could this be a roo that was just low in the pecking order with the other roos and still won't crow now that the other dominant roos are gone?
one1.jpg

Top feathers - Not so pointy, I think.
one2.jpg

Forgot to get the tail feathers out, but tail feathers are almost exactly the same on both chickens...
one3.jpg

Chicken #2

Hubby says this is our layer. She does NOT liked to be picked up EVER.
two1.jpg

"Two" has a pink comb - more pink than "One"
two2.jpg

Here's the pointy feathers I'm worried about...
two3.jpg

THANKS!!

First one hen-Second one Roo. Would like to see the tail feathers on number one though. But that's my guess. Second one the neck feathers are shiny and pointed not rounded like the first one.

Look like two RIR pullets! They look at least six months old? (guessing b/c you didn't give an age) I would have guessed #1 is laying, she looks more mature... But #2 doesn't look far behind.
ETA: Here's a boy RIR at almost six months.
IMG1335-S.jpg

Last edited:
Both are hens.
smile.png

I don't see any pointy hackle of saddle feathers. The hackle feathers may appear to be pointy, but I believe it is the coloration in the center that is pointy not the feathers themselves.

Re: Both hens?First one hen-Second one Roo. Would like to see the tail feathers on number one though. But that's my guess. Second one the neck feathers are shiny and pointed not rounded like the first one.

That's what I was thinking. The second may be a girl though. It's 50-50 to me.​

Back
Top Bottom