Botulism?

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Hi All,

We went away for an overnight stay, and when we came home this evening (about 30hrs we were actually gone) one of our 3mo old indoor ducks (very small fawn and white runner) was acting very limp and seemed to have no energy. I immediately gave her a warm bath and food, and she gobbled it right down. Right now she shares an enclosure with her hatchmate who is a Pekin/Black Runner mix. The Black duck seems completely fine. I can't figure out what's wrong with my little girl. No sign of any injury, infection, etc. She seems very light (although she has always been very tiny, maybe she's lost some weight) and has a hard time keeping her head up or standing. Could the other duck be monopolizing on her food and so she's not getting enough to eat? I do see her eat every day...so I don't know. I'm worried she could have botulism, since that's what her symptoms seem like. Anyone have any input or suggestions on treating her? I thought I'd give her some water with ACV in it for a start. Thanks!

Donna

Donna,

did you have someone caring for them in your absence?

Has she been able to get into fetid water or water where something has died?

If she has been indoors, is she dehydrated, possibly got into something toxic?

Here is the link to Celtic Oaks' sticky on toxin flushes and charcoal.

But if the problem is starvation or dehydration, a flush would be awfully hard on her system.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

…...

I apologize for forgetting my manners. I am worried and sad about your duck. Awful thing to come home to. I need to get some rest soon - I will check back in a few, though.

Don't know if I will be able to be up long enough to check for your reply before morning here. It's currently almost 11 p.m. May all go well and may she recover quickly and fully.

Last edited:
Raspberry made it through the night, in fact, she mustered up enough energy to hop out of her small box in my bedroom and poop all over the floor (diarrhea). She is still weak, barely quacking, but eating and drinking well. She has low muscle tone, and seems off balance. She is very light, but it is hard for me to gague if/how much weight she's lost since she's just such a small duck as is.

WE had our neighbor kids come and give fresh food and water to them the night we were gone. So it had been about 15hrs since they had fresh water and food, but that's not terribly uncommon since they go all night without food and water regularly. They have not been outdoors in about 2 weeks, because it has been too cold and they have not been properly intorduced to the big flock. I had them outside in a small enclosed coop back then, so they were on top of straw that had been outside all winter, but it wasn't soiled or dirty at all. I keep their box very clean. I'm just puzzled here. I'm scared to do a toxin flush, because I don't want to kill her. Would it be safe to wait a few days of gibving her lots of food and water to see if she improves first, or (if it is botulism of some kind) will it kill her too quickly. I'm leaning towards maybe she's been getting trampled by her hatchmate.

My best guess is she is not getting enough to eat because the other duck is MUCH bigger (like 4x) than her. I'm going to try to keep them seperate from now on, but her hatchmate is in a total panic without her. I'm trying to find something that I can make so they can be in the same place, but separate.

Thank the Lord she has made it so far!

I think hydrating and feeding her are key, you sound like you are on the right track.

Was it a new bag of food? Some ducks are more sensitive to mold than others - a thought.

For separating, I find that plastic poultry fence works well. Just a matter of setting up two waterers and feed bowls. But it can be done.

Poor little Raspberry.

An unbreakable mirror helps lonely ducks.

Bad news. We lost raspberry. All of a sudden she was laying flat on her back in the box. We got her up, warmed her up. She was just weak and flailing all over. My 6 year old daughter, who stayed up all night to watch this baby hatch, has fed and cared for her from day one, held her in her arms while she passed on. It is a very sad day in our household today. Lots of tears all around. RIP sweet Raspberry.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom