Bought an anatolian shepherd pup last night...

I just got a year old Great Pyrenees who never bonded with humans, was raised solely with all types of other animals. Given the choice of being in my pasture with my critters or being a pet, she has choosen a pet. Not to say she doesn't like to be outside and she does guard and patrol but she plays with my 7 other dogs and follows me every where I go. Which leads me to believe they don't prefer the life confined in the pasture.. If given a choice.

Quote:
That's interesting - I didn't know that. Don't know much about LGDs but do like Anatolians.

You have good taste in dogs
big_smile.png
If I were in need of an LGD I would also choose an Anatolian. I can't "do" the hair of the Pyrs and the Pyr mixes, I had a hard enough time keeping my GSD brushed out-- and he didn't have half the coat.

Thanks for the info!

She has been outside full-time today except to travel in the car to the barn at our new property where we'll be moving in June. I really can't deal with keeping her in anyway... we already have two smaller dogs indoors and we're getting ready to sell our house. She's already crying less which is good -- hopefully tonight she'll do well or we might be getting a call from our neighbors. Another reason I can't wait to move, lol.

Those are great dogs. I had one of those for years until she died. She was so funny, she went with us to Fargo north Dakota to pick up my male German Shepherd Fargo who weighs 130 lbs. She would carry him around like her baby and the day she passed away Fargo was laying right beside her.

I sadly cannot say that I like the breed. I have seen them and everyone of them i've heard of and even I seen turned on new animals and once I sold a yearling miniature to someone and they raised them I was horrified to hear their female Anatolian had tore him to bits and had to be stitched up because the little colt was left in the pen with their miniature goats. I cannot ever safely feel trusting toward them for this reason then I heard that another Anatolian from another family had killed a newly added doeling and had killed it because it was not of the herd. To me if a dog killed one it could kill another even from the current herd.

The dogs were fairly friendly toward strangers and close in the familys and easy going when I met them but I did not like what I seen nor heard about them.

Sorry to say this comment i'm sure your girl is a sweet girl but i've just heard and seen to much.... i'll never get over my poor colt either.

also the dogs were not young pups either they were older dogs even.

Last edited:
I think there are drawbacks on every LGD breed (though I can't say I've hear that of ASDs). We could not go with a great pyrenees b/c the wander too much and their hair is too heavy for our climate. The other breeds of LGDs simply are not available in many areas.

Grats on the new pup
smile.png
I really hope she works out for you. I recently got a komondor puppy and had to keep her inside for a bit because of the weather. Now that she is bigger she's settling in with the goats and learning she needs to stay in with them. I was really worried about her spending too much time inside bonding with people, bottle baby goat seems to have helped too.

I have been through a pyre, running off chicken eating goat chasing... and she was raised on a goat farm! I have heard bad things about anatolians, mainly not thinking twice about killing and eating one of their charges. I hope you don't have any problems with her!

P.S. my biggest problem with LGD and chickens is that chickens chase each other, pull feathers out and spar. LGD playing that game with chickens can end badly. My mean rooster used to play attack and chase with the pyre, he would attack her, she would run, he would chase, she would turn around and stomp him flat, repeat. He is still alive. Some others that might not have known about the game sadly didn't make it... they just got stomped, then buried so I wouldn't find them. It's been 3 months and I'm STILL finding chickens buried in my yard!

Last edited:
I hope not too. All of my expensive stock will be penned anyway, only the layers will be free-range. If she has issues then we can always build a run. I'm more interested in her keeping predators off our property and out of the bird pens.
smile.png

They barking alone helps a lot, keeping predators at bay and alerting you to the fact that they are there. I either turn the dog loose or get out my gun, bb or otherwise.
smile.png
not even hawks dare to land at my house!

How is your puppy doing with the chickens? I am a volunteer at our animal shelter and they have a litter of Anatolian's for adoption- hubby wants one, maybe 2 (we have 53 acres, but I don't want 2 huge dogs in the house and am not sure I like the idea of leaving them out all the time)! Would love to hear how the past 2 months have gone for you- thanks!

Back
Top Bottom