Bought as Mallards, but I'm calling them Ruens

keckels

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
What's so strange, is I bought them from a breeder about 40 miles away. Finally got a pic of some 3-4 days old

And the parent stock. Maybe she meant "domesticated" Mallard?

Those ducklings look like they only have one eye stripe. The duckling we bought from TSC I thought was a Mallard until I saw the two eyes stripes, my duckling's head does not look like yours. He had two stripes that you could really see and they didn't really go through the eye like that.

~ Aspen

"Domesticated mallard." If you want to get really technical they probably has about 5% rouen in them. Most captive mallards do have some rouen in them. Hence the "domesticated". A "show rouen" baby will have 2 solid eye stripes and generally dont run even with the eye like yours.But even if it does there is another solid line below it. Good luck with them and I hope you enjoy em keckels.
smile.png

Last edited:
Just by size I was sure they were rouens. Doesn't matter to me really, but a year ago I thought I was buying Mallards. I didn't have any photos of when I bought them, so I got the next best thing. They are laying good right now & as it warms up hopefully they'll sit.

Here's a pic of my mallard duckling for comparison. At first I was thinking mallard but then after reading everybody's comments I second guessed myself.. So I'm no help now. LOL.

Yours is even cuter

No it's not! LOL. I came back to take a fresh look at them and I am going with Rouen. The ones I've seen have a little thicker line under the eye so it threw me off. The hens in the parent stock pic look like Rouens, but then the drake in front looks like my mallard drake. Ya think she could have a little of both in there? :)

Back
Top Bottom