Bought from a bird auction for the 1st time... Help!!!!

AutumnHotChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Dunrobin, On Canada
I had apparently bought two cochin hens.. They are mixed for sure... But that is ok... But. What do I do about their feet! My chickens are all very healthy! Can I trim the talons... I don't know what to do and feel terrible.
I will post pictures

Yes you can trim the toe nails. They have a quick like a dogs. So cut a little at a time and repeat in a week after the quick has receded. I think most would use a dogs nail clipper.

Also, you are keeping them quarantined, I hope. They look like they may have scaly leg mites. Hope I'm wrong.

Also, you are keeping them quarantined, I hope. They look like they may have scaly leg mites. Hope I'm wrong.
This. I might skip quarantine if I bought from another backyarder, but would never if from an auction. I'm skeered of auction birds lol.

The were in the coop today as well free ranging with mine! As soon as I read this, I separated them... Now what! OMG! What a bad purchase.. Too trusting .. I would never sell a person a problem like this:barnie :(

Covering the entire leg with castor oil will suffocate the mites. Do this after a warm water soak and scrubbing the feet with a brush to remove as much gunk as possible.

I would also treat any hens that were free ranging with them.

Problems like this is why I stay away from poultry auctions. Just be glad that this is a VISIBLE problem. I would worry more about the problems they may have that you CAN'T see.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Oh your poor chicken looks awful, Its sad people will let that happen and then even sell it in that condition. I hope you are able to get her legs back to normal.

Everyone needs to remember it doesnt matter if bought from a very trusted source like a friend or maybe a swap or an auction, no matter the source

QUARENTINE QUARENTINE QUARENTINE. No matter what for at least 30 days, longer if possible.

I would spread DE powder or even something stronger like sevin dust garden powder around the coop and yard. And then keep an eye on everyones legs. Keep your new chickens separate as far from your existing flock as you can for at least 30 days just incase they have other underlying sicknesses you haven't noticed yet.

Keep us posted on the progress on her legs.

Back
Top Bottom