Bourbon Red 9 week old died today :(

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
Today our 9 week old Bourbon red (female I think) died.
I noticed a few days ago that she was moving a little slower and I resisted my intuition to bring her in for some TLC.
She was only 1/2 the size of our other 5 turkeys, she was eating and drinking normally.

Last night when I "tucked-in" the turkeys I noticed that she was on the lower roost instead of on the top roost with the other turkeys.
Her wings were hanging down, I put her up on roost with her flock.

First thing this morning I brought her into the house (to stay in the hospital cage in our spare bedroom)
I fed her Kefir, Raw Milk, Cayenne pepper flakes, and scrambled eggs. She ate really well, but was very weak, wings were hanging low and she seemed to have difficulty with "beak-eye coordination." She would try to peck into the bowl of eggs (I was holding) and would completely miss the bowl, I had to move the bowl to her beak to help her eat, but she ate 1/2 a large scrambled egg, drank lots of raw milk/kefir..

I left to run errands - 4 hours to come home to find her dead
sad.png

this is our first time raising turkeys. They have a new Turkey house with 7 week old bedding. We also raise chickens (which have been on the ground free-ranging where they are penned up (about 40x40 enclosed)
We reside in SouthWestern Pennsylvania.

She did not have sulfur yellow poo - in the cage today she had mostly white runny poo
She only ate organic turkey starter food, scrambled chicken eggs and kefir - a little organic scratch grains.

My main concern is what happened to her and will my other turkeys die? They all seem fine. (2 males, 3 females)

Any suggestions or comments are sincerely appreciated - we are planning to keep a momma and dad turkey over winter and have the others as holiday birds (but I'm really attached to these birds!!)

I just wanted to say I was so sorry to hear she's gone. I can't offer much help but hopefully someone with experience will reply. So sorry.

I am sorry about your loss and I honestly don't know what could of happened to her. I am just starting out with turkeys so I don't know a whole lot about them.

Not any help here either but I am sorry for your loss.Was she a lot smaller? Maybe she was weak? Could she have damaged her brain somehow? Sounds neurological with the co-ordination? Just trying to toss some ideas out there...

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I really need help.
My favorite turkey girl is acting lethargic and i'm really worried that there is something wrong with her now.

Please any suggestions???

Back
Top Bottom