Boy or Girl???

Whatsupchicken

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
These are my 9 week old babies, there are 4, the frist 2 are silkies, the last 2 are cochin silkie mixes..I pray I have some hens!!! I am curious to what you all think....

Silkies and silkie mixes can be notoriously hard to sex when young. The only one that is looking suspicious to me is the one on the far right. The others look like pullets, but like I said, silkies are VERY hard to sex when young.
smile.png

I think the brown ones are pullets
And at least one of the silkies looks to be female
The darker one is iffy
Ull be able to tell if the silkies are male or female when they get older

Males will have streamers as adults
Which kind of look like hackle feathers but they are coming off the poof on the head
And also the comb will be wider

Females have a rounder poof on the head as they age and will have a smaller comb

Thanks for your input!! I love playing this guessing game, I will keep you posted to what they turn out to be!!

Cause a genetics person posted on here long ago if you crossed a black skinned father with a white or yellow skinned mother, the offspring would be sex linked. The males would have white/yellow skin and the females would have dark/black. I've not been able to test it myself yet but have always been intrigued by that cross and being able to sex them early. If the information is correct, your mixes are both male. I'm just not sure if I would have guessed male for them, but would love to know how things turn out!

That is extremely interesting donrae, I personally think they are all boys, but I am no expert. I am hopeful that I am wrong and have atleast 1 girl. Just wanted to see what people that have more experience than I have think. I will keep you all posted!!

Dorea, I would love to read more about this, but I'm having trouble finding the post. If you find it can you please share the link..thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom