Boy, the cost of a "chicken vet" is outragious...

Great ending to a good thread! I'm glad you found the resources that you did and that people on here were able to help you with this!
thumbsup.gif

I don't think anyone was upset, really, just loving the debate and trying to help. I admire Nancy's desire to defend your choice to spend money on your chickens. I think this is what makes these types of posts great....that people can do this without getting nasty or mean, just presenting viewpoints, discussing options, and coming to a healthy conclusion. I love it when that happens!
smile.png

Last edited:
After spending almost $350 getting my doxies teeth cleaned and having 4 extractions on Pooh, there is no way in heck DH would let me consider a "chicken vet" DH would probably strangle the bird right there on the spot if I mentioned "vet". (I did tend the wounds are care for Marilyn when a cat got her.)

After having an emergency c-section and spay on a cat, the vet told DH to not figure the cost out per pound, it would be a loss each time. DH thought the $117 for taking the heifer in last week was outrageous. He just has that farm animals are farm animals and that is that mentality. He tells the vet that the only reason I work is to pay for my dogs & cats.

Last edited:
Yea I know a couple that have used this service that found out it was a diet related problem that they could have easily fixed and were able to with the rest of their flock. I am surprised that a university charges that much.
sad.png
UC Davis is a Vet school and it's really
not costing them anything and the students can learn a lot from a diverse group of chickens sent to them from different areas with different issues... seems like a win .. win for everyone.
hu.gif

I know this is an old thread...just chiming in here because I just learned the following: The reason Michigan State is so expensive is because they don't receive any funding from the state of Michigan...most animal diagnostic labs do receive funding from their respective states. It does cost (probably more) to have the students do the necropsies because they have to be supervised, which is more time and labor intensive for the faculty than just doing it themselves. If more than a gross necropsy (see below) is done, it gets really expensive because of the tissue prep, cultures, etc. involved. A gross necropsy (ie they only dissect the body and inspect it visually) at Michigan State is $90 and they will do up to 6 birds (it is recommended to send at least 2 or 3 birds, if possible, 6 is best, if you have that many dead) for a total of $90. Often the diagnosis can be made by gross necropsy alone. $150 is if they have to do further testing (biopsies, bacterial cultures, virus isolation, etc) to arrive at a diagnosis. If one chicken dies, they recommend you dip it in water and wrap it in wet paper towel and put in a plastic bag in a refrigerator (not freezer). This slows down breakdown of tissues after death. If another bird or birds die with in the week, send the dead birds (up to 6) for necropsy. If only one bird dies, (especially if she's 3 years old or older), it is likely due to natural causes and possibly (probably?) isn't worth the cost of sending in for necropsy because it has nothing to do with the health of the rest of your flock. Just for future reference. :) I attended a backyard poultry wet lab at MSU today and learned quite a bit about chicken diseases, etc. Way cool! :)

Folly's place; what a coincidence we were both there and also my name is Mary, too! LOL. Where do you practice?

Back
Top Bottom