BR or DOM? (six month old pullet)

Cassandra

Ranger Rick
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Southwest Mississippi
I ordered this one from Ideal and supposed to be a dominique. I don't know exactly what a rose comb looks like, but her comb is different from all the other hens I have. I am putting a full body pic (sorry for the blur, she was moving--little hussy!) And a close up of her comb. Thanks.

Edna02.jpg

Edna01.jpg

Cassandra

jumpy.gif
love.gif
jumpy.gif
:loveYeah, another dominique owner. It is confusing. My roo has a very profound rosecomb. But now that I think about it I will have to check my hens a little closer when I get home.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
Congrats on your Dominiques
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

Not a terribe Dominique-I see no reason not to breed her [do you have a Dominique male?].
Dominique females don't tend to have as good a rosecomb as some other breeds-your bird's comb isn't the best but it's also not the worst I ever saw. At least it has a leader.

I don't have a rooster yet. I will have to start looking for one. I hadn't really fancied myself a chicken breeder. But the Dominique interests me. I understand they are becoming less common. If I could find a good looking rooster and make more of them, I would. I don't want to be passing on any mutty traits, though. And I would like to be certain that I have what I think I have.

From what I have read about breeding and line breeding and inbreeding of chickens... well I'm still confused. I bred dogs at one time and it seems breeding chickens is NOTHING like that.

Dog breeders will tell you to only breed dogs that match the standard and try to produce standard puppies. I don't know how that works with chickens. If I get a so-so hen a pretty good rooster, I don't know how that helps or hurts my chances of getting true to standard chicks. But I would think that for people who are interested in saving the dominique, that close to standard chicks would be preferable than those not so close.

I feel like I'm rambling. Am I making sense?

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom