Brahma chicken's feet

I felt so bad for her after reading about these issues, I wanted to give her some relief. I decided night was the best time to treat her, so will get pictures today.
I covered the pads of her feet with Neosporin. Almost out of Vaseline so supplemented that treatment on her legs with my husband's O'Keefe hand cream 🤷
She definitely has some hardworking "hands" - ha ha. The tube says it dries to a coating and that seemed like it would be ok for the night and soothe her poor feet
The feathers on her feet make this pretty difficult. I'm wondering if it's ok to trim them to 1/2" or so. Would like to pluck them, but that seems painful.
Am enlisting help today to give fett a good soak and cleaning. Probably rig up some kind of covering to keep it clean.
There are 2 Brahmas, so her sis is going to need same care for scaly mites.
I sure appreciate you all for "listening" as well as advice.

Photos taken before I bathed her feet. Her feathers are coated in Vaseline from trying to cover the scaly might the night before.

I'm treating foot pads with Neosporin and wrapping her feet. She's also been getting 1 1/2 ml dropper of Amoxicillin/Calcium w/Vit D solution daily. The pill we dissolved was 500mg, so I'm trying to give it over 7 days.

Does it look like bumblefoot? Will Neosporin be good to cure it? I also have Vetericyn and Blu Cote, just don't want to make a sticky blue mess. She's been tolerating the wraps on her feet, which I hope to get better at with practice.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_105803926.jpg
    IMG_20231104_105803926.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20231104_105840369.jpg
    IMG_20231104_105840369.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20231104_105731411.jpg
    IMG_20231104_105731411.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 19
I don’t see any signs of bumblefoot, but her toes are pretty fat. If they seem lumpy that could be a sign of gout. Brahmas are pretty hefty birds, so it may be normal fat toes. I would keep applying the scaly leg mite treatment 2-3 days a week. No need to wrap the legs. Nustock horse cream found online and in some feed stores is very good for leg mites. It contains sulfur and pine oil, and can kill mites and soothe the legs.

I don’t see any signs of bumblefoot, but her toes are pretty fat. If they seem lumpy that could be a sign of gout. Brahmas are pretty hefty birds, so it may be normal fat toes. I would keep applying the scaly leg mite treatment 2-3 days a week. No need to wrap the legs. Nustock horse cream found online and in some feed stores is very good for leg mites. It contains sulfur and pine oil, and can kill mites and soothe the legs.
Agreed.

Thanks for the advice & especially product recommendations. The Vaseline was so gooey I had to wrap her toes to keep it kind of clean. Left it on overnight and most of the next day.
She walked out more - seemed to get along with her BeBe Love socks over the gauze. But it seemed like her nails were really long and sticking out.
Yesterday I took off the wrap, trimmed her nails way back and coated her feet & legs with the Nustock ointment. What an experience that was - Ha! I used a toothbrush to get it under the scales.
Unfortunately I didn't get pictures - but will in a day or 2 when next application is due.
Overall her feet look much better and hopefully she'll get back out foraging with her buddies.

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_115412948.jpg
    IMG_20231105_115412948.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 15
You know, it's simply amazing how suddenly these girls show up with a new malady that seems like out of nowhere. Then it's apparent there's another cause that wasn't obvious. I guess a lot of people here have been through and offer such great advice. 1 benefit of social media - information.
Now I know to check their feet too, especially the Brahmas.
They all so love their puddles, and it didn't occur to me that was bad for them. Maybe occasional Vaseline treatment would prevent mites again?

Back
Top Bottom