Brahma losing tons of feathers

RobinsHatchlings

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2023
I'm a fairly new chicken mom...1 year...my Brahma has not been laying eggs ..thought is was the heat. (I Live in Phoenix, AZ) They are free range and we have lots of shade for them, I have 3 large water saucers in different areas for them to wade in and water to drink also in several areas that i keep filled. My problem is my Brahma is suddenly losing lots of feathers. We just noticed that there are bald spots by her back end and vent area...i looked up and thought maybe vent issues. did a castile bath with her this morning and noticed lots more feathers are missing everywhere and after i took her out these little tiny red ameba-link bugs floating in the water. are these Mites?

It could be molting, it's that time if year.
If you suspect mites, clean out the coop, apply a permethrine based powder or spray, dust your birds and get all new litter and bedding.
Careful with bathing, it's stressful and cold water can kill them. I'd avoid bathing them at all.

It sounds like she may be molting. They molt first time about 16-18 months and yearly thereafter. Do you know her exact age? Lice are 6 legged and fast moving, beige to tan. Mites can be neutral colored and red after eating. They have 8 legs. Do you have any pictures? Permethrin garden dust and permethrin spray will kill either. Lice should be treated twice at 10 day intervals, awhile mite should be treated at 7 day intervals. All bedding should be removed and permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water can be used to spray the coop, nests, and roosts before adding new bedding. Here is some reading about lice and mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom