Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
frow.gif
everyone!

I bought some eggs from sjisty and they *should* hatch soon
fl.gif

What colors of Brahma do we have in the U.S.?

I've seent he gold, silver, buff laced ones. Partridge, blue partridge, buff, light/dark.

Is anyone working on projects now?

Is there wheaten yet? blue wheaten? Lavender?

Ooohhh... wouldn't a mille fleur brahma be awesome??? lol I'm sure that would take quite a bit of work and 20 years or so
lol.png

I already have a few cochin breeding projects going but have fallen in love with the look of brahmas.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have newly hatched 18 Brahma babies in my living room, 5 Brahma chicks that hatched over the weekend under my banty who is the world's best foster mom, 7 older chicks in another brooder in the living room, and around 30+ Partridge Brahma chicks incubating right now. I'm thinking I'll have some to sell!

have 2 2yr old buff bantam girls and i Love 'em. One of them is a great mother, hatched some mixed breeds for me last spring. Both are sweet and lay well. Cant post pics now, maybe another day.

Questions for Big Medicine: what are your thoughts on using cockbirds in your breeding program? How old of male birds do you use. Do you find that fertility declines with age? Is it a certain age or varies by bird? Do you find older males fertility increases as the weather warms?

I have cockbirds in two of my buff pens now(one three years, the other five). i am a little dissapointed in fertility so far. Chad very seldom uses cockbirds as he says its too "iffy". I'm just interested in your perspective as a more experienced breeder than I. Do you mess with cockbirds or mostly use K's?

Thanks!
Tim

I don't really want to mess with that Joe. Its mostly just my old cockbird, I guess I'm just having a hard time giving up on him. I think I'll give him another week and see if fertility improves. I have three other buff pens. The pen with the three year old is starting to produce some fertile eggs. The two K's are both good/fertile. Interested to see Gary's take.

On a brighter note-my lights are close to 100%. I'll send yours Monday.

Quote:
Yeah, RP, I agree with that to a point. But the question is : how long do you tie up the female genetics with a limited hatching window for fall show season. I just have four breeding pens of Buffs-all trios. I'll most likely wait a week. If no fertile eggs, i'll split the females to the two K's.

P.S. I know your not Gary, but i appreciate your input too!

Last edited:
Well, my Partridge/Blue Partridge from Sjisty hatched. . . . Got ONE chick. Total. I mean, in the whole incubator. Sooo now I'm worried. First day or two was nice, pampered the little 'un a lot, but now I'm busy and often have to be outside, and. . . . The closest chicks to buy for buddies are about 70 miles away, and we just drove that far two days ago.
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom