Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how the genetics work. I did have two black Brahma hens, two blue Brahma hens, and one blue splash Brahma roo, all with feathering on legs and feet, all in one breeding pen. I hatched about 30 or so chicks with about 6 of them clean legged and footed and another 6 or so with scant feathering on their legs and feet. Here's an example. These came from that breeding pen, which has since been disbanded.

My chicks are not old enough to note how much feathering they have, but I suspect the feathering will be far less than is supposed to be there.

As for the genetics - this is the super simple version: If you have project brahma - ie: mixed and bred back to make a color, such as blue, where the back crosses are only a couple of generations - you may have birds that carry one feather leg gene and one clean leg gene. These birds will have feather legs. When you breed them, if a chick inherits the clean leg gene from both parents then it will be clean legged. I think the genetics of this are more complex, since it seems you can get incomplete genetics and get lightly feathered legs, or there may be a separate gene for feather feet that may make a difference, or just the strength of the genetics in general.
Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Just wondering if anyone could tell me whether it's possible to determine the gender of a Dark Brahma chick that is about 7 weeks old? I also have an EE chick and have just figured out that I most likely have a cockerel. I hope some of the same characteristics are not the same for my Dark Brahma, because I can see 3 pretty distinct rows on it's comb, too.
sad.png

Just wondering if anyone could tell me whether it's possible to determine the gender of a Dark Brahma chick that is about 7 weeks old? I also have an EE chick and have just figured out that I most likely have a cockerel. I hope some of the same characteristics are not the same for my Dark Brahma, because I can see 3 pretty distinct rows on it's comb, too.
sad.png
Can you post a picture?

MY brahmas Dark 1 week old and my 2 day old Marans YEAH the Marans I hatched the Brahmas came from a Show Breeder in california as eggs

I could But honestly i was on his waiting list for 8 months then talked him into selling me eggs .
40 bucks a dozen i got 15 very Nice chicks ,
I can not keep all of these chicks but where are you located i know of 3 others that have chicks right now my roo Came from NY and he is the most beautiful loving friendly and He won the show .
Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom