Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your birds clearly need more foot/shank feathers. The middle toe should have feathers on the outside part. They are still young so I can't say much. Looks like they won't enough black in their tails/hackle feathers too.

Yea, there 2 1/2 months old. I need to start looking around for a breeder with hatching eggs! I think it's time. I have the incubating down now. To go along with my Heritage Reds and Heritage Delawares.These are hatchery birds from TSC. Raise them and eat'em if I get some breeder birds. They are the most skittish birds I have every seen in my life. I think there afraid of there own shadow.
hmm.png

Yeah when I had hatchery brahmas they were like that too. Now I have Leghorns and they won't let me get within ten feet of them.

lau.gif
gig.gif
I bought 7 of them. There with my 2 month old Heritage Reds. Got them for a $1 a piece. Couldn't pass them up. Leghorns are laying machines!!! But I seen them getting like that already myself. Last one I had was a BIT$$!!! But was the queen of the coop. NOBODY messed with her. Even seen her fly feet first at the rooster. But she only did that once to him.
pop.gif
lau.gif
He was a black copper maran. MEAN SOB!!

LukesCity, if your goal is to produce a dark red bird, you'd be better served starting with the Buff Brahma bred to the red birds. Many of the Buffs that aren't raised by the knowledgable tend to get orangey in the males saddles and hackles anyway. Also would'nt have to worry about getting rid of the white in the offspring.

Big Medicine, since you seem to have been around the Brahmas for a while, in addition to Bill Bowman's lights, how about Barb Pipers nice Darks that she showed or do you remember O'Fayne Whitney and his Light Bantams? My son started with O'Fayne Whitney Light Bantams back in the 79's and they were pretty good birds.

Being from Ohio, I am fortunate having multiple good poultry shows within a couple hours drive. I have not missed many Ohio Nationals over the last 30 years. I have had the opportunity to see some very impressive Brahmas, and meet some of their breeders. I have been to, and brought birds home from Bill Bowman, and Bill Mayer's homes. I've talked to Barb Piper, Larry Peterson, and a few others, at shows. . As far as O' Fayne Whitney, I don't know that I have ever met him, or realized who he was if I did. But setting in on some American Brahma Club meetings when the national meets were held in Columbus, I would later see in the newsletter, listed on the meeting roster, names I had been reading about in the newsletter, or the Poultry Press for years.

To be honest, I always check out the bantam Brahmas, but it at the large fowl row where I drawn, and do my studying.

acv when i used it with my male dogs and tom cats id get mostly female Offspring in 7 litters with one male we got 90% thats 50 kittens that where female
In dogs same results I prefer to let Nature take her cource but i had more of one sex sold i even tried it with my stallions and not sure as they where too smart to dink it LOL Tammy

Thank you Tammy. The main reason I wanted to do this was because some people say it works for improving the ratio and some say it doesn't. I just want to know if it really does work. Hens are always easier to sell so why not feed it to them if it works
idunno.gif
. This year I started feeding it to my chicks once they hatch until they go out to the grow out pens. Seems to be making them healthier.

I have a buff brahma bantam 71/2 weeks old, I have been questioning if it is a roo or not. He got his comb early and it turned red and then his waddles came in. This morning I went out and it was crowing, is that possible at this age? What do you think roo or a noicey pullet
Pictures will not upload??? I will try again later on the pictures.

Here are the pictures of them. The chick on the left is the one in question and is the one that crowed. The one on the right is the same age. Not sure why the pictures come over so small but and suggestions or advice on if I have a little roo would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom