Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how people are always complaining that a lot of Buff bantam females look "poofy" in the cushion areas like cochins? Well that bird has an outstanding top-line. Everyone get out your standard and read the female description and then look at that female. In my opinion that is an ideal top-line. Her tail is SLIGHTLY peaked....thats it! How is her primary color? Excellent head too. I wish you could post these photos on SBB so those hard heads could see. I'd like Jimmy to see her.

Tim
Thanks for all the compliments everyone, but she was simply a happy accident. I hadn't separated my young birds and my Light pullets started laying while in with Buff cockerels and I needed early hatch birds for fair. I also felt a bit contrary after reading some of the old timers on SBB advising against this cross.

Tim, I will try to get some pics of her primary color for you when I get a chance. I will also email you the pics and you can forward them where you will. I had to ban myself from SBB. It was bad for my B/P and my enjoyment of the hobby.

Clare

My son's big winner a 5 and 1/2 month old pullet. Tim, this pullet is from the Buff x Light cross.

Congratulations! What beautiful feather coloring. I only discovered Brahmas last October, and I love them. We just have 2....they are so sweet.

Congrats DAK! Way to go! very nice looking bird.

I contacted Janice on the partridge brahmas and she said give them a few months- they are still in the awkward teen stage. Wing feathers may go back where they are supposed to.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, but she was simply a happy accident. I hadn't separated my young birds and my Light pullets started laying while in with Buff cockerels and I needed early hatch birds for fair. I also felt a bit contrary after reading some of the old timers on SBB advising against this cross.

Tim, I will try to get some pics of her primary color for you when I get a chance. I will also email you the pics and you can forward them where you will. I had to ban myself from SBB. It was bad for my B/P and my enjoyment of the hobby.

Clare
Clare, Really nice pullet and if you breed back to the pure Buff male you will get some nice young males the next time around. Over the years I made this cross several times. The light and buff cross well together both ways and the light and Dark cross well together.
So nice to see a brahma that looks like a Brahma should and not like a cochin.
I can help you with the crosses if you have any questions.

Clare, Really nice pullet and if you breed back to the pure Buff male you will get some nice young males the next time around. Over the years I made this cross several times. The light and buff cross well together both ways and the light and Dark cross well together.
Thanks for the advice snowbird. I have her sire, grandsire and a pen full of this years cockerels to decide between.

Once again, I need to thank John Neff (Buffs and LF Lights), and Tim Lindenborn (Lights) for a great start in Brahmas. I just wish there were more shows in my area.

Clare

Sort of true. I have white crop up in the wings of some of my buff males every year. I have not yet done the cross, so it is a result of Greg doing the cross years ago. The females will pass the white to their male offspring even if they show no white. I showed three of the Buff males with white last year at Shawnee. The judge was so impressed by their type he placed them high, 2nd and third if memory serves. I sold them all. I pointed it out to the buyers and told them it would show up in some of the offspring, mostly males AND the females might carry and pass it as well. Minor thing....the females are worth it.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom