Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try and get some better pictures when they come in for the night. I do know that the original stock I got 3 years ago was show quality brahmas. This is my main rooster and he weighs about 16 pounds right now. There is some black in the back saddle feathers but you are right it depends on the angle that you are looking at.

Would anyone have pictures of a rooster that meets the standard more closely so I know what I need to work towards?

I will try and get some better pictures when they come in for the night. I do know that the original stock I got 3 years ago was show quality brahmas. This is my main rooster and he weighs about 16 pounds right now. There is some black in the back saddle feathers but you are right it depends on the angle that you are looking at.

Would anyone have pictures of a rooster that meets the standard more closely so I know what I need to work towards?

Here's the first one I could find, not my bird, but looks pretty good:

Blue looks like he is the only one with a correct back line. But I agree with Big Medicine about needing more angles. Honestly though...none of them have the correct pattern, there is no black in the saddle on any of them. Look long and narrow like hatchery type birds, but they're relatively young so maybe could still fill out.
x2
I'll try to get some pictures of my light boys today and post them. I really like the one in my avatar. His back line is a smidge too high for my liking.

Last edited:
Tried to get some better pictures but I really stink at taking pictures lol.

Yellow rooster hard to see but he does have some black feathers in his saddle not many though

Green boy.

Red and blue boys.

Blue and red roosters from different angles.

They were very hard to get pictures of they didn't want to stay still. I can say that red and blue are definitely wider backed and chest than the green and yellow. Green is definitely more upright than the other three. But they are all about the same physical size and weight give or take a pound.

Once I get more people here I can have someone hold them each in different positions so that I can get better pictures but I am by myself until the weekend so have to try and get photos on the run.

Here's the first one I could find, not my bird, but looks pretty good:

So all my roosters definitely need a lot more black in their saddle and hackle feathers from what I can see from this bird. And their backs should be a bit shorter on the topline. Looks like their girth lines and tail make the u-shape fairly well. Does that sound right so far? Also to correct these flaws you would want to keep birds that have short flat backs and darker coloring on their saddle and hackle feathers and cull those that are longer backed and lighter right?

Warning! Picture overload!

The looking top line in this photo and the hen has good wing carriage.
Correct coloration of primary wing feathers
Nice diamonding in the saddle feathers. This picture and up is of the same cockerel and all the ones below are of my other cockerel.

This is how this bird has his top line, usually.
Both cockerels are about ten months old and still need to get some head width.

Last edited:
Wanting to buy very nice quality LF Buff Brahma hatching eggs, chicks or adults. Having THE hardest time finding any. I've been looking for about a year now. Willing to travel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wanting to buy very nice quality LF Buff Brahma hatching eggs, chicks or adults. Having THE hardest time finding any. I've been looking for about a year now. Willing to travel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
send me a private message in the summer of 2014 if you are still having trouble, I might be able to help. I was finally able to find a pullet and two cockerels from Dave Burchett in Ohio, I have his telephone number. There is also a guy in VA that raises buff variety in several breeds that can help: http://www.goldenfeatherfarm.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom