Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandmother from Wayne County KY during the depression would cook a possum for a homeless man who would bring her one on occasion. She wouldn't eat it because she said it was very very greasy. This isn't her recipe.

Roast Opossum:.
The opossum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350°F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.

Opossum Stuffing:.
Brown onion in fat.
Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.

BON APPÉTIT

Now can you guys talk about Brahmas again.

I only shoot ducks that taste good Gary. I did trap and relocate possums before I caught a couple in the act. I'm no blood thirsty maniac. I guess ya'll don't have feral hogs in Ohio or Wisconsin. It is frowned upon to let them walk here. And no, we don't eat them all.

Tim, is this like the time when I referred to you as probably the finest example of a grumpy old fart in captivity, and you only disputed the old part ?

Last edited:
Well...maybe. I can't really dispute the old part anymore either. I do kill lots of stuff though and eat about 97% of it. Moderatly maniacal I suppose.

My grandmother from Wayne County KY during the depression would cook a possum for a homeless man who would bring her one on occasion. She wouldn't eat it because she said it was very very greasy. This isn't her recipe.

Roast Opossum:.
The opossum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350°F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.

Opossum Stuffing:.
Brown onion in fat.
Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.

BON APPÉTIT

Now can you guys talk about Brahmas again.

When the fur man used to come to the feed store weekly about 20+ years ago....I did skin a few.
"Very, very greasy" is an understatement.

Tim

Coyotes are terrible here! My dad has hit 3 in the last 5 months. And man can they do some damage to a bumper. I really do think his truck just attracts animals or something, because it seems about every week he has a new story of "oh ya, I hit ........the other day". If he can swerve a little to miss them he will, but says he isn't going to go in a ditch to save a coon and certainly not a coyote. While I am sure someone won't agree with me, I think they need to control them more. They are terrible here, I wish we didn't have the dang things. I know everything serves their purpose, but a dog could do what a coyote does (kill rodents and terriorize livestock basically). People have said they have seen mountain lions. I have never seen one, or even a print. I live in northern Indiana and we probably don't have a hill higher than 5 inches lol. I can't image what a hog would do! I can imagiene they are probably pretty good at destroying stuff.

I only shoot ducks that taste good Gary. I did trap and relocate possums before I caught a couple in the act. I'm no blood thirsty maniac. I guess ya'll don't have feral hogs in Ohio or Wisconsin. It is frowned upon to let them walk here. And no, we don't eat them all.

The most often predator we see is a possum, I have lost several birds to possums. Coyote has only been a problem once. Neighbors dog once.

After losing a goose's head and a couple of chickens years ago, we started trapping and shooting possums and coons. One day I realized that our coops were secure. We haven't set a trap in about 4 years now, although I would really like to shoot that darned coon that gets on my van and pees down my windshield!
lau.gif

Well, seems like I go offline for a day and the boards light up! Now, can someone please tell me why my brahmas are my only chickens that won't go into the coop for bed every night? Everyone else goes into their respective coops, but every night I have to go out and move the brahmas into the coop. It's not hard, I just pick them up one by one and give them a little shove on the fluffy butt when I put them down facing the door. I suspect it is because the cockerel doesn't go into the coop at night (they all go in during the day to lay their eggs) and as their leader, they feel like they should stay out with him. Should I put him in the pot and get a new cockerel since he doesn't have the sense to protect his girls inside the house at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom