Brainstorming To Determine What Killed My Birds

I free range my chickens, have been for about 2 months.
I trained my dogs not to mess with the chickens, they are well behaved farm dogs that obey and listen very well.
They are wonderful varmint dogs, with the exception of leaving the property 2-3 times a day when its hot to swim in a neighboring pond. They have both had extensive obedience training and are well kept dogs.
The losses started 2 weeks ago. The smallest bird (10 week old bo) went missing. Just gone. The next day her partially eaten body appears in my yard. My dogs have a love for all things dead, we have a "varmint graveyard" near the pasture where they leave their armadillos, and rarely possum & raccoon (both young only) or groundhog. They defend this are from vultures & any other interested creature. They did not take the pullet there, they put her right in my front yard, for me to see.
2nd attack, I was outside and heard the distress call from a 10 week old welsummer, the dogs were on the other side of a running vehicle and didn't hear it, I went running and yelled for dogs to "get it". They ran into the woods, no barking, and I heard frantic " noises " from what? Odd sound I can't place, possibly fox or raccoon? It was sort of a chittering*. Hard to describe. Dogs came back within 3 minutes, older dog has blood in his mouth. They didn't make chase or bark as if treed animal. I have seem them tree squirrels, they bark, pace, then give up. No body found, my visiting brother trecked into the woods to search for body of chicken and/or predator, found neither. Dogs were uninterested. The next morning the lower half of said bird is found in my front yard. Head neck & breast are gone rest of the bird & entire windpipe are intact. My dogs were uninterested in this carcass as well, aside from bringing it out of the woods.
Then the massacre yesterday. Came home at dusk to: one wounded and non moving bird. Her feathers are in 3 piles, none where I found her. Amazingly she has only a fairly large bruise, lots of featherloss and was in shock, no broken bones or puncture wounds.
Around the corner there are 4 dead birds, no wounds, all necks broken. Nothing eaten. 2 17 week old pullets, one 16 week old pullet & one 10 week old pullet. One dead bird, the last 10 week old pullet, same co edition as 4 in front of coop is in my front yard. 4 birds were missing. The remaining birds, including 17 week old cockerel are in coop, roosted. We searched for missing birds, to no avail, gathered bodies, and cleaned up the injured bird. Stella, the 17 week old EE, crated her in the coop.
This am I went out, to feed the flock, left the Big door open, as I always do, none went out, they weren't even out in their run, all remaining birds are huddled in the coop, clearly traumatized. While I'm in, my glw comes running in UNHARMED! hooray! After feeding i closed the door. They will remain locked up until I figure this out, their coop is fort Knox! My dogs we giving some extra attention to an area where we store junk, our scrap metal pile, an old ramp to our porch & cattle pannals. The both go running under the ramp as I watch, I hear chicken noises and scream! they come out immediately and stand by me, I took them to the shop for good measure. Until this I was very confident that they were not involved in the massacre.
I retrieve my prized isbar cockerel from under the ramp. I had found so many of his beautiful splash feathers that I though he was a gonner. He is seriously worked over, like Stella, has what looks lime very fine scratch, not bite, marks on his breast and is covered in a yellowish substance, filthy. He is mobile and alert. Eats and drinks immediately. Wound is treated with antibiotic cream. Moments later I hear scrambling in the coop and out emerges a 12 week old pullet from underneath a straw bale & built in brooder. I dont know how she was crammed in there, she has a badly broken toe and missing feathers. There is now only one missing bird/body.
So. What on earth?
Borrowed a live trap & will have it set, baited with a dead bird, by dusk.
Neighbors have dogs, one loose that has paid no attention to the birds, he plays with my young dog. Another dog that is chained, he could've gotten loose, but they'd never admit it. Although they told me months ago that he's a "cat killer".
At least one attack was a wild animal, the only attack I heard.
I am so confused.
The straw bale in the coop being disheveled leads me to believe the assailant came in the coop. The door I leave open Is 6 inches wide. Could not have been my large dogs. Their attempted chase of the isbar this am could have been that he smelled like the predator? Fox? Raccoon? Am I in denial? Throw me some ideas!
If the last missing bird shows up I will be leaning tword dogs, neighbor's or my own. This is like a nightmare!

Could easily be neighbor or feral dogs.
Missing birds are likely fox, coyote, dogs, hawks depending on time of day.
The chittering sound your heard was likely a raccoon.
Mink and weasels will kill most of what they can reach without eating any meat.
Raccoons usually grab the bird by the head or neck to kill them quickly so they don't have to fight while they eat, but they will eat.

Between dusk and dawn, you can't leave the coop open.

Could easily be neighbor or feral dogs.
Missing birds are likely fox, coyote, dogs, hawks depending on time of day.
The chittering sound your heard was likely a raccoon.
Mink and weasels will kill most of what they can reach without eating any meat.
Raccoons usually grab the bird by the head or neck to kill them quickly so they don't have to fight while they eat, but they will eat.

Between dusk and dawn, you can't leave the coop open.

Thank you chicken canoe!
I always close the coop before dusk, our coop is east facing and they go to roost early. Yesterday unfortunately, we were delayed and didn't arrive home until late dusk. The attack that I heard happened at 6pm, 3 hours before dark here.
I am leaning toward raccoon, based on broken necks, but if it killed 6 birds, why would it take only the smallest one? Much more meat on the 17 week old it left dead in front of the coop. unless it intended to come back, and my dogs returned from their swim.
My younger dog, and more prolific varmint killer got a terrible wound about 3 weeks ago, a deep and narrow slash on her ribcage, with parallel scratches lining up with a coon paw (hand?) It was treate and healed well, but I do believe we have a coon. Cyotes do not come near our property, my late gsd wolf mix killed two in the yard last spring and they have not been back, when we bought this property they came through and near frequently, haven't seen or heard them since. My gsd X wolf was put down last summer after being gored by a bull. My young dog, a great Dane, pit mix was her replacement, as my older male mix won't fight or attack alone. I forgot to mention that there are no feathers or blood in the coop at all. No blood outside either, they were all clean bloodless kills.
We'll see what we find in the live trap. I intend do dig a hole, and put a chicken body in it, and stake the trap over it. I hear foxes can be very trap savy, should I caver it with something, brush? A tarp or something?

wow what a nightmare. fox will hunt day and night, but they generally "grab and run" with their prey. they are shy but clever and once they've had a "hot lunch" (sorry), they will continue to come back and clean you out. however, fox generally don't "chatter", they yip and shriek.

a red tail hawk (and other varieties) will carry off chickens, especially younger or smaller breeds.

raccoons are pretty much nocturnal but I have seen daytime activity altho it's rare (and would typically be indicative of a rabid animal). raccoons ARE cruel and ruthless killers and will shred their prey, yank them right thru the wire of a run, will eat parts of a bird and leave the rest.

weasels will draw out the blood but generally leave the whole body behind. since they are so very slender, they can get thru the smaller gaps.

rats too will eat chicks

and yes, dogs, no matter how much they may be a family pet, have varying levels of a "prey instinct". you could have the sweetest, most sensible and obedient pet but turn into "cujo".
they'll go after cats, ground hogs, lambs and yes, poultry!

i'm so sorry you're going thru this horror. in my opinion, one can not be too careful. what you describe is why I no longer free-range and have not for years. I have too much wildlife here and don't feel it makes sense to encourage/.invite the wildlife. they're just doing what's instinctual. so your job as the livestock caregiver is to provide all means of protection--from wildlife AND dogs!! that may mean not free ranging but providing enclosures with surrounding electric fencing/wire (solar units are very effective, easy to set up/install).

Do not rule out any canids, including your own. Raccoon not likely. Pen birds up and see about trying to monitor who visits and scares your birds.

Also necks not broken.

Parts could be from a fox's cache.

Last edited:
I'd suggest setting up a game camera. That is how we figured out a fox grabbed one of our gals during the day. I added some electric fencing after that and we haven't had a problem since.

I have electric fencing, we use it with our horses. I Can't at this time obtain a game camera, although I've wanted one for a long time! Whatever it is has never gotten into my secured coop. When the doors are closed it is so far impenetrable. Hardwire, wood & tin co struction.
I let my large cockerel out to test my dogs. I went inside where they couldn't see me. He was not afraid of them, they paid him no mind what so ever. He didn't want to be outside at all, and is safy back in the coop.
Centrachild, what did you mean by necks not broken? I'm a fan of your work with your dogs, followed your thread about training scoob & Lucy, and am sorry for your loss of scoob! I implemented some of your methods when introducing the dogs to birds, and when teaching them to respond to distress calls of birds, which they do well, when there's not a vehicle running (loudly) to cover up the cries. I am not ruling out my own dogs or the neighbor's. Dogs are confines, and I will be examining their stool for anything chicken like, since one bird is gone. I 100% sure my dogs do not fit into the open door to the coop. Neighbors heeler mix could've, he's sketchy, but has "been raised around chickens". I did my best from my side of the property line to check their yard for the last body, but couldn't see anything.
In my area rabies cases are rare, but raccoons are commonly infected with distemper, which yes, my dogs are vaccinated against.
The bird that was taken when I was present(ish) was just inside the woodline. Very thick underbrush, blackberries & other unfriendly growth.

Recovered corpses in order:
1: 10 week old bird one breast eaten possibly some inards, bugs were present on body
2: 10 week old bird head neck breasts eaten, inards & entire windpipe intact.
Massacre: 5 birds appeared to have broken necks & many feather piles from struggle, no bite wounds or punctures.
One bird gone, 3 birds injured, one with torn skin under belly near thigh and lo s of feather loss, covered in a dried substance, clearish yellow. One bird broken toe and bruise on inner thigh. One bird feathers ripped from back, two small tears in skin on back, large bruise on back, head and neck covered in substance mentioned above. This bird had one of the dead birds feathers stuck to her, like they were on the predator and transferred? Saliva? Some of the dead birds had the substance on them, some looked pristine, just dead.
Do hawks massacre? I thought they only kill what they want to eat?
Caught nothing in the live trap, will change bait before dusk.
Surviving chickens are still stressed, hide in the coop, hardly venture into predator proof run.

Hawks do not typically massacre. Large bruises indicative of crushing bite. Saliva indicative of mammal. Day time losses not indicative of raccoon. This looks very much like dog. Fox or coyote will police up bodies quickly.

Back
Top Bottom