Brand new chick has "something hanging from it's vent"

MsSpidersFlock

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 10, 2007
I had a new chick hatch down to the top half of its body about an hour ago. Finally it hatched all the way, but there is a long string of flesh colored stuff hanging from its rear, and it's bloody...Is it going to die? Did it hatch too early or something? It seems a bit weaker than the first one that hatched, I feel bad for it, especially if it's laying there in pain. Never seen this before, can anyone tell me what this is?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like the yolksac was not fully absorbed before hatch. The chick is likely to be weaker. Think of it like a premature baby. I would keep it seperate from the others if possible so they don't peck at the sac until it dries.

My first one to hatch had the same thing....looked sorta like a bloody booger! I know, gross....but anyways...it dried up, and the chick is now 3 days old and VERY healthy and loud! Congrats on your hatch!

Thanks so much guys, I haven't yet been able to check on it's progress...GULP. I'm sort of afraid to find it dead, but I understand it sort of comes with the territory. I just did not have the energy to stay up all night with it. Thanks again guys, I'll let you know whats what as soon as possible.

Kat

Well, the chick is doing fine. I just had another one hatch...and it's got the SAME THING! Whats up with that? Why are my chicks all hatching prematurely? They're all sitting under mom right now. It's so weird, because I have golden sebright/belgian quail mixes, and this last one that hatched is a very VERY light gold color, where as EVERY other chick that I've ever hatched has been black with the occasional white spot. haha Interesting batch.

If it is mom hatching the eggs I would have to ask if during the last 5 or 6 days was your temp and weather in general taking some extreme swings? That could do it.

Too much heat and humidity in an incubator can increase the odds of this also.

You will also find that it just occurs with different pairings of birds. So there has to be a genetic factor there too.

Those are the most common reasons I have found for this problem.

happy to hear allis well

How big is this red thing? When they VERY first come out, they will have a little dangley hanging but it usually pulls off with the shell as soon as it moves around a bit.

Oh, yes, I was asking ms spiders how big her chick's was. When I first started hatching chicks the small red dangles were odd looking, but nothing compared to the hatch that went bad a few years back where there were thoes finger sized protrusions. Was wondering if that was the case here or not.

Back
Top Bottom