Brand New Chicken Family!

DzieChick

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2017
WNY
I've been waiting my whole life to have chickens, and I've finally worn my husband down enough to get some
yippiechickie.gif
We got them all from TSC last Friday so they are now about 5 days old, but they were only a day old in these pictures. The two yellow ones in the first picture were labeled "straight run bantams" and based on what I can find I believe they are white silkies, yay! The others are from a tub of "straight run" Black Sex Links, and if I chose right they are all females. We also have 5 Orpingtons that I believe are all buff, also straight run. (We named them all girl names in hopes that we won the straight run lottery and got all females, but we are aware that is most likely not the case... the Orps are Queen Elizabeth (shes currently the boss), Rue (the tiniest), Emily, Georgia, and Beatrix (the lover). I am going to try to get pictures of them tonight
big_smile.png

I know this is a questions for a different thread but - I noticed two of my black stars vents looks a little red/swollen and someone had a yellow runny poo, although I don't know if it was them or not. It doesn't look "pasty" per say, but just different than the others. I was wondering if the vent just looks more apparent because they're black feathered with light skin? I'll add my question to the other boards if it doesn't clear up in the next day or two, and i plan to wipe their bottoms just in case.

Thanks!

G’Day from down under DzieChick
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you and those little cuties all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Last edited:

Update on my babies
1f414.png
They're getting so huge! I know at least the guy in the bottom right pic is a cockerel, and most likely his buddy who is always one step behind, hoping most of the rest are pullets!

Isn't that funny, husband reference that fact last night "no one gets chickens unless the female of the house insists on them"… In our case, I grew up with chickens and got him hooked on fresh home eggs when we went to visit my family one time.. Finally twisted arm when a free roaming RIR(who had lost her partner in crime in our cul de sac by a neighborhood dog) came into our fence backyard. Greetings and good luck with your flock.. Really cute to see the changes from the pics!!

It's true, my husband wanted to get meat chickens but I wasn't into that so much. I just love them, he could really care less. They're so full of personality!

Back
Top Bottom