Brand new chicken mom ❤️

socal chicken

Hatching
Feb 3, 2016
Hi fellow chicken mamas and papas! I'm here with a lot of questions and excitement about our new chickens and coop. So happy to be here to read about all the chicken adventures!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You have certainly come to the right place for all your chicken questions :D Comgrats on your new chickens :clap What breed/s do you have? Be sure to check out the link Michael left you. There are lots if fab articles there that will help you along the way.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Have fun with your new girls! :)

Wow thank you for the warm welcome! I will read and educate myself at the learning center! I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, a Barred Rock, White Plymoth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Rhode Island Red. They seem to be getting along well and ages range from 7 weeks to 3 months old. Biggest question/concern for me right now is that they all sleep in one nesting box. The box is small and they just pile up. They don't seem interested in roosting. It is about 40-55 degrees at night so not too cold. Any suggestions? Thank U!!

Well it sounds like you are having the same issue I was early on and that is that they will find the most comfy spot to what they know and as they are young and likely not laying yet all they know is huddle together in a corner somewhere. The way I fixed this was I have a hood that covers over my nesting boxes to allow the hens privacy and security while laying so what I did then is temporarily nailed up a board over the face of it to prevent them from entering the nesting box. They slowly started to perch at night and after about a month of this I took the board back off and haven't had a problem since.

Wow thank you for the warm welcome! I will read and educate myself at the learning center! I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, a Barred Rock, White Plymoth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Rhode Island Red. They seem to be getting along well and ages range from 7 weeks to 3 months old. Biggest question/concern for me right now is that they all sleep in one nesting box. The box is small and they just pile up. They don't seem interested in roosting. It is about 40-55 degrees at night so not too cold. Any suggestions? Thank U!!

You're welcome. You need to close off the nesting boxes until your pullets are close to the point of lay. In the meanwhile they will become acclimated to sleeping on the roosts.

Hi and welcome to BYC - sounds like you have a nice mixed flock already. I agree with advice already given, but also make sure that your roost is higher than your nesting boxes, otherwise it will be an uphill struggle!

All the best
CT

You want to block off the nest boxes since they are too young to lay anyway. You don't want them learning its a great place to poo at night - they would make a mess of the eggs.
The young ones may not know how to roost. At dusk you could place them on the roosts, along with any others that aren't already up there. They generally will stay put in the dark, and should soon get the habit of going up on their own.

Back
Top Bottom